Forum home Plants

Tree peony to plant

Lily PillyLily Pilly Posts: 3,845
I have been given a beautiful tree peony. We have never grown one before.
The site has been carefully chosen but on researching exactly how to plant I am reading conflicting advice. One says no deeper than the pot, another says to look for the graft, near the stem and ensure that is at least 6” below soil level. Totally confused
can anyone help?
Weeds are flowers, too, once you get to know them.”
A A Milne

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,010
    The RHS says that if grafted, you should bury the graft union 6" below teh surface.  If on its own root stock just plant at the level it was before.  They need a sheltered spot and good drainage, if that helps.

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=711 

I planted a couple in my Belgian garden - yellow and white version - but they didn't survive their first winter (-20C).  Delighted to find a mature pink, perfumed one here.  It got excited and produced lovely fresh bronze foliage and some flower buds in an early warm spell but was then roundly clobbered by the Beast.  Happily, it has recovered and flowered reasonably well.  It's in full sun on well drained soil and, in theory, sheltered from cold east winds by a hedge.
    Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Lily PillyLily Pilly Posts: 3,845
    Thanks Obelixx it was grafted so is 6” under🤞
    Weeds are flowers, too, once you get to know them.”
    A A Milne