Forum home Wildlife gardening

Someone's nesting in my shed!

I've just found these two little nests in my shed! How can I tell whether they're wasps or bees? Are they something to be worried about, or should I leave well alone?

• FireFire North LondonPosts: 17,116
    edited May 2018
    Looks like wasps are at home. Such beautiful material they create. If you can save it at some point, it's great for art work. If the nest or the wasps aren't in a position to bother anyone, I would leave it. 
  • josusa47josusa47 Posts: 3,531
    Wasps or bees, they're pollinators, so make them welcome.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,276
    Unless someone using the shed has an allergy, they won't be any bother ... we had a similar one in our little 6x4 shed a few years ago ... actually, as soon as the gardening season started and we were in and out of the shed Mrs Queen wasp must've decided that it wasn't the nice quiet place she though it was, and upped and left.  
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Lily PillyLily Pilly Central southern Scotland Posts: 3,845
    We leave them as long as they are not going to bother children, we had to remove one last year from the box hedge next to the BarBQ area
    Weeds are flowers, too, once you get to know them.”
    A A Milne
  • Green MagpieGreen Magpie Posts: 806
    I have had this happen and decided to get rid of it, as I want to be able to use my shed without getting on the wrong side of wasps. I removed the nest with a broom - if you can wait until the queen is not at home, it will be safer!
  • Joyce GoldenlilyJoyce Goldenlily Posts: 1,976
    We had a very large one removed from our loft. One of the most beautiful creations I have ever seen.
  • Vix and ScottVix and Scott SurreyPosts: 21
    Thanks all! They’re definitely in avoidable positions in the shed, so I think we’ll just have fun watching them develop :) will keep you posted! 
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,276
     :) 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh