Forum home Problem solving

Brambles and nettles through chain link fence

2»

• ipdale3ipdale3 Posts: 3
    Thank you all.  That's a lot to mull over.  

My neighbours aren't a factor.  One let's his garden run wild and isn't interested, and the other has built an expensive fence to buy time whilst he sells his house.

Network Rail are going to do nothing and won't be the least bit interested in what I do, within reason.  The location is off the beaten track and is very much oout of sight, out of mind.
  • ipdale3ipdale3 Posts: 3
    A quick update

I treated the brambles a few days ago and it's all dying back nicely.  Neither I nor my local shops & garden centres had brushwood killer so I made up a strong Glyphosate solution from some old Weedol sachets that were in my shed.

It took only a few minutes and my wife's happy, so I'm pleased so far.
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Posts: 11,999
    Good to hear. Brambles are the very devil to get rid of.
    North East Somerset - Clay soil over limestone
  • WaysideWayside Posts: 845
    Sad to hear network rail are going to purge millions of trees.  What will they replace with?  Will it all be buddleia and brambles, and collapsing banks?  Why not cornus or something interesting all the way?  Road and railway side can be such an opportunity for wildlife corridors and interesting planting.
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Posts: 11,999
    That apparently was a false news story. Network Rail have stated they have no intention of felling millions of trees, they said they only fell dangerous or dead trees.
    North East Somerset - Clay soil over limestone