Forum home Plants

HERE IS THE WEED IM having trouble with

alanreynolds123alanreynolds123 Posts: 5
edited May 2018 in Plants

• Lizzie27Lizzie27 SomersetPosts: 9,218
    That looks a strange one Alan, can you post a picture of it growing in your garden for us please. What kind of soil have you got?
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 15,853
    Does it have yellow flowers similar to dandelions. ?
    It looks a lot like coltsfoot leaves.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • Dave HumbyDave Humby Posts: 1,115
    Does it have yellow flowers similar to dandelions. ?
    It looks a lot like coltsfoot leaves.
    Alan made an earlier post about Coltsfoot so i'm guessing this is a continuation of that topic....

https://forum.gardenersworld.com/discussion/1012545/weeds#latest  
  • IVE NEVER SEEN IT FLOWER BUT LEAVES CAN GROW TO 10INCH DIAMITER IT WAS IN A LOAD OF TOP SOIL I BOUGHT IN 2 YEARS AGO

• ITS NEVER FLOWERED JUST GROWS BIG LEAVES AND CAN IMATATE WHAT ITS GROWING AMOUNGST NO WEED KILLER WILL TOUCH IT AS ROOTS CAN GO DOWN TO 18 INCHES AND WILL SNAP OFF  THIS WINTER I HAVE COVERED MY BEDS IN PLASTIC SHEETING BUT IT HAS STILL COME BACK 
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 27,561
    Weeds with deep roots can be killed with repeated applications of a weedkiller such as SBK applied to any new growth.  Plants like this store energy in their roots to make new shoots so just covering with plastic or cardboard isn't going to do it.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 7,482
    Certainly looks like Coltsfoot but I've never known it to be a persistant problem. It flowers very early in the year before the leaves appear which make it an excellent source of nectar for early bees. Goldfinches, siskins and redpolls all love the seeds which are a good early food source for them. If you've got pet rabbits they love the leaves too and they dry well if you want to store them to add to their hay.

It isn't an especially vigourous grower so just keep weeding it out and it will go away without needing to resort to chemicals. Don't let it seed if you're trying to get rid of it. I've had it in my garden for years now and it's a welcome plant as the foliage is quite unusual and ornamental in my opinion.
    A great library has something in it to offend everybody.