Forum home Wildlife gardening

Hedgehog House

JellyfireJellyfire SuffolkPosts: 1,139
Decided to try and tempt the local hedgehogs to set up home on their way through using an old wooden planter that was falling apart, the very last bits of pond liner (getting my moneys worth) and the pallet it came on. My joinery skills consist of recognising a hammer and a screwdriver, but I figure they wont mind too much. Have filled it with dry leaves and tucked it away in a quiet corner under a log pile (allowing access For the odd sneaky peek). Any ideas of ways to tempt them in/let them know its there?

• FireFire North LondonPosts: 17,116
    edited May 2018
    It looks very fine. I would make sure that there is easy access into your garden - that there are not fences to the ground all the way around. If so, make holes. Also encourage neighbours to do the same - if that's appropriate. Do they use homes like this all year around or just in the winter? (The hedgehogs, not the neighbours).
  • JellyfireJellyfire SuffolkPosts: 1,139
    Fire said:
    I would make sure that there is easy access into your garden - that there are not fences to the ground all the way around. 
     :D  :D There are more holes than fence! I built a dead hedge last year (which Id heartily recommend in a larger 'rustic' garden btw), so access is very easy for small wildlife. I see the droppings from them fairly often so I know they are around and about. I believe they use them all year round, but then they are very handy for hibernation in autumn 
    Good to know. I wish I'd put in a different style of fencing.
  • Dave HumbyDave Humby HampshirePosts: 1,142
    There's lots of good discussion, advice, hints and tips on this existing thread

https://forum.gardenersworld.com/discussion/993170/help-save-the-hedgehogs-part-ii#latest
    The cost of clearing the overgrown undergrowth all the way around enough to put a fence in was pretty eye watering. Took me about two weeks to put the dead hedge up, just building it around anything that was already there. Its only about 12inches in depth, and about 5ft high, so it takes up a bit of room, and it wouldnt be desirable for a neat or manicured looking garden. But the birds love it for nesting and feeding in. The kids call it the mouse motorway as we regularly see them running along the branches. Has the added advantage of being somewhere to shove any brash from pruning, or if the compost is full to bursting 

https://forum.gardenersworld.com/discussion/993170/help-save-the-hedgehogs-part-ii#latest
    ah thanks dave, I signed the petition and read the start pages but didnt know it had covered general hedgehog stuff so will have a read right through 
    Jelly, yours sounds like my kind of garden. I get all wistful hearing about the large, wild gardens on this group. I focus on appreciating my little urban spot. But I can dream...
    Fire said:
    Jelly, yours sounds like my kind of garden. I get all wistful hearing about the large, wild gardens on this group. I focus on appreciating my little urban spot. But I can dream...
    I think we all covet other peoples gardens, my last one was a 12ft by 8ft bit of soil in london, when we first moved here I was pretty daunted, now I look longingly at neighbours' acres of scruffy lawn thinking what I could do with it. But we can only enjoy what we've got, and I know in mine at least about 90% of my enjoyment comes from my favourite little spot at the end which is about the half the size of a small urban garden.
    Greener grass, indeed. :smile:
  • Dave HumbyDave Humby HampshirePosts: 1,142
    Jellyfire said:

ah thanks dave, I signed the petition and read the start pages but didnt know it had covered general hedgehog stuff so will have a read right through 
    It's a great thread JF. I learnt a lot from the knowledgeable and experienced folk who posted on that thread.

I got interested last year when I, well the dog(!), found one in the garden. Turns out they were regular visitors although one disappeared a couple of months back and the other has also stopped visiting the last couple of weeks after visiting all through the cold winter. I fear, having seen the evidence, that the first hog to disappear was run over. Don't know about the second. Last year I bought a hog house which they started using then abandoned and we feed them every night. I also purchased a wildlife camera and enjoyed catching them on that. I even built a 'ladder' so they could scale the bank which they had worn to a slippery surface. I hope we see them again.

The only downside for us is that the rats moved in due to the access of readily available food. I've been picking them off with my air rifle in the evenings as I won't risk traps or poison due to the hogs.