Forum home Plants

Pulmonaria Blue Ensign

FireFire Posts: 18,978
I'm interested in getting some Pulmonaria Blue Ensign. Am I right in thinking this variety doesn't have "mottled leaves" or flower in August as Parkers suggest?  I thought it had plain leaves and flowers in spring.

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,424
    you are right Fire, plain leaves and flowering now. It's the only one I have that disappears completely late in season and doesn't reappear til the following spring

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • FireFire Posts: 18,978
    Thanks Nut. Wonderful app. :smile:
  • nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,424
    :)

In the sticks near Peterborough
    edited November 2023
    I am still planning to get some pulmonaria. I have a spot that gets no direct sun but isn't dark. Is the plant unlikely to thrive?

• PerkiPerki Posts: 2,494
    edited November 2023
    should be ok Fire . I have Blue Ensign don't think much of it really its not a bad plant though, Diana Clare is a far superior variety 
    edited November 2023
  • @Fire To me there is one pulmonaria that stands 'head and shoulders above all others P Diana Claire and if I could only grow one that would be my choice. I believe it was named after Bob Brown's wife of Cotswold Garden Flowers?
    P Redstart is one of the earliest to flower.
     Retired Gardener, new build garden, clay soil, South Notts.

The more I garden the less I know but the more pleasure I get from it. Monty Don 
    I'd like to try a plain-leaved white one as well as Blue Ensign and Redstart, if one exists.
  • PerkiPerki Posts: 2,494
    edited November 2023
    Sissinghurst white I had it in a pot before I got round to planting it had already fried think that were back in 2018 . edit sorry forgot it has a slight mottle to the foliage 
  • JennyJJennyJ Posts: 10,449
    I haven't come across a plain-leaved white. I grow Sissinghurst White and it does very well, but it has spotty leaves.
    Doncaster, South Yorkshire. Soil type: sandy, well-drained