Forum home Plants

Interesting walk

Valley GardenerValley Gardener Posts: 2,850
I have just got back from the hairdressers,and as the sun was shining decided to walk the two miles back.
You see so much more when you walk! The wild flowers are in abundance now.....I saw violets,primroses,wild daffs,bluebells and a pale pinky mauve flower,very prolific,which I will have to look up,various ferns and mosses all beside a fairly main road,I even saw a waterfall that I'd obviously missed in the car!
Spring has surely sprung?
The whole truth is an instrument that can only be played by an expert.

• wild edgeswild edges Posts: 10,455
    Lady's smock/cuckoo flower? It seems to be a good year for them.
    If you can keep your head, while those around you are losing theirs, you may not have grasped the seriousness of the situation.
  • It is incredible isn't it how separated from nature most of us have become. I love how if you spend a little time sitting by a river or canal or just in a field or country lane you suddenly start noticing things. It's like your eyes adjusting to the dark. Give it 5 minutes and you start noticing all the sights, sounds and smells you were oblivious to before, and all the birds, bugs, rabbits, etc, that you scared into silence when you arrived start moving around again.
    Thanks Cagzo, really looking forward to summer now.
    “Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.” Winston Churchill
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    It is incredible isn't it how separated from nature most of us have become. I love how if you spend a little time sitting by a river or canal or just in a field or country lane you suddenly start noticing things. It's like your eyes adjusting to the dark. Give it 5 minutes and you start noticing all the sights, sounds and smells you were oblivious to before, and all the birds, bugs, rabbits, etc, that you scared into silence when you arrived start moving around again.
    Thanks Cagzo, really looking forward to summer now.
    I always thought gardeners would be closer to nature than the average person. It does seem like many are still fighting nature rather than enjoying it though.
    If you can keep your head, while those around you are losing theirs, you may not have grasped the seriousness of the situation.
  • Valley GardenerValley Gardener Posts: 2,850
    I think because I paint landscapes mainly,I do as much observation as possible,and am very aware of the colours of the trees and mountains around here,which seems to tie in with gardening, I think if I was an abstract or still life painter it might be different.
    The whole truth is an instrument that can only be played by an expert.
    I used to paint landscapes when I was a younger person. I even sold a few oil paintings through a gallery in Penarth. I ended up becoming more obsessed with detail though and and drawing tiny insects and plants. Micro landscapes. I found staring at the distant hills meant I was missing so much right by my feet.
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Posts: 12,415
    I too, noticed lots of different wild flowers out in bloom today on just a short walk along a lane to the churchyard where my mum is buried and we saw a lovely bluebell wood on the way up from hungerford
    North East Somerset - Clay soil over limestone
  • DampGardenManDampGardenMan Posts: 1,054
    I always thought gardeners would be closer to nature than the average person.
    And closer to the seasons too. For many the seasons are dictated by what the shops are selling ...
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    I always thought gardeners would be closer to nature than the average person.
    And closer to the seasons too. For many the seasons are dictated by what the shops are selling ...
    Well if that's the case most gardeners live in permanent winter. Garden centres have a moto like a slightly more jolly family Stark these days 'christmas is coming'. If they didn't start getting the xmas displays up in June we'd never be ready in time!