Forum home Plants

What's this shrub, please?

AdstidAdstid Posts: 78
Morning! Can anyone identify this shrub for me, please? I have found it overgrown deep in my border and would like to prune it back into shape, but want to know what pruning regime it would prefer before I get stuck in. Thank you in anticipation.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,854
    edited May 2018
    I think it's one of the species Ribes family,Maybe Ribes Aureum, but I might be wrong.

Devon.
  • AdstidAdstid Posts: 78
    Thank you Hostafan1 - I put that into google images and definitely the pics coming up look exactly like what I have. Thank you!
    my pleasure.
    Devon.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 87,839
    I agree, Ribes Aureum ... I have one, courtesy of a GW friend  <3

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

is it scented? flowers , not foliage?

Devon.
    No, no scent. Apparently the currants are edible, though. 
  • nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,414
    an aka, or possibly a former name, for Ribes aureum is Ribes odoratum. There should be scent

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • MarlorenaMarlorena Posts: 8,622
    Highly scented of cloves, and the scent will waft about as you pass by..
    One of the best spring flowering shrubs available.  The foliage will also become richly coloured in autumn..  it's usually listed as Ribes x odoratum... or buffalo currant..

East Anglia, England
  • MarlorenaMarlorena Posts: 8,622
    You asked about pruning.   Immediately after flowering, about mid May, and don't touch it again for the rest of the year, as you will be cutting off next year's flowering buds..
    East Anglia, England
    I will go and have another sniff when it stops raining! Thanks everyone.