Forum home Wildlife gardening

Wee beastie ID

Anybody got any idea what this is living under my lawn (other than what I presume will be a very tasty, nutritious meal for the next passing bird)?

• 1634 Racine1634 Racine Posts: 568
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 21,191
    Chafer grubs.
    Actually rather pretty in the adult phase.
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
    Thanks @pansyface

Kind of reminded me of the film Tremors when I dug him up.
  • JellyfireJellyfire SuffolkPosts: 1,139
    edited May 2018
    Yep Chafer Bug, otherwise known as Cockchafer or Maybug. Had never seen one until we moved to Suffolk, and the first time I did I thought a little aeroplane was trying to dive bomb me! They are pretty incredible things, a bit like a flying out of control ping pong ball!
    Apparently the grubs can do a bit of damage to lawns when they emerge from underground, but between the molehills and rabbit holes I cant say as Ive ever noticed myself 

Cockchafer?  Sounds nasty but nothing a new pair of underpants wont solve.

Now that I have googled these guys I recognise the beetle.  They are pretty cool.  The grub gave me the creeps a bit though.

• Allotment BoyAllotment Boy North London Posts: 5,826
    But you were right in your OP the birds will love them.
    AB Still learning

• JellyfireJellyfire SuffolkPosts: 1,139

Cockchafer?  Sounds nasty but nothing a new pair of underpants wont solve.

:#  It gave me a big enough shock as it is when I first saw one, when I googled it and saw the name I went and hid under the bed!
  • josusa47josusa47 Posts: 3,531
    Do cockchafer larvae really damage lawns, or is the damage done by birds digging them out?
    josusa47 said:
    Do cockchafer larvae really damage lawns, or is the damage done by birds digging them out?
    From what I have read it's the birds. The grubs eat route but not enough to cause damage.
  • DampGardenManDampGardenMan Posts: 1,054
    They're brilliant as beetles, little flying tanks! We had lots last year, I hope the bad summer didn't do for them ...