New Babies

Hi All, really excited  about the 500 plus plugs I received in the post today  from  Crocus, all well packaged and looking very healthy. Previous mistakes in the past have ended up having spindly, leggy spicemens. Have bought Cosmos, Salvias , Stocks to compliment my Cottage garden borders. I've previously bought plants (ie Cosmos) from garden centres which look so much more robust. Is it because they put three in a 2ltr pot to grow on?

• hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 3,963
    Pot up your new plug plants and put them somewhere sheltered and warm. 500 plugs is a lot of pots! They will be too small to go straight into the garden and if they are plugs they need room to grow.
    'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • Samantha55Samantha55 Posts: 30
    Yes, no G and T for me after work! Lucky for me I have two big greenhouses. The point is do I pot up three plugs together or more to make for a more robust specimen to plant out later?
  • ladygardener2ladygardener2 Posts: 364
    Cosmos Stocks and Salvia can all be pinched out to make them more bushy. For now, grow them on singly, see how they are in 3 or 4 weeks time but the pinching out is key.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 27,969
    They should really be potted up singly as ladygardener says, but it's a lot of 3 inch pots!  :D
    You could always try putting a few into a bigger pot and see what happens....
    Pinching out cosmos etc certainly helps to keep them bushy and gives the plant a better chance of doing well once they go outdoors in their final position.

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• granmagranma Posts: 1,835
    Are cosmos grown from seed the same for pinching out ? Mine are three inch and just showing true leaves ? 
  • Samantha55Samantha55 Posts: 30
    Can someone explain how to 'pinch out'? Does it mean taking the top off?