Forum home Wildlife gardening

Bumble Bees and Humming Birds

I am fascinated with the HUGE bumblebees we have buzzing around our garden as we enter the summer months.  I have some ground cover that they clearly enjoy (I have NO idea what it's called) but was hoping to get something else that would attract the fuzzies.  My husband gives me a fairly large gift card for my birthday for our local nursery and i was hoping to get a list of plants going before i started aimlessly walking thru the nursery for hours.  

on that note - I am also obsessed with our hummingbirds.  Any ideas for them would be appreciated to!  (i am mostly interested in larger plants/bushes/shrubs/flowers for now - i'm trying to lay the foundation of our flower beds)

thanks!  

• Jason-3Jason-3 Posts: 372
    Hiya jescan whereabouts are you in the world ? Stateside 
  • Mark56Mark56 Windsor, BerkshirePosts: 1,653
    edited April 2018
    Sounds like Queens looking for nest areas. Aim for tubular shaped flowers... foxgloves, penstemon etc. Agastache are favourites of the Hummingbird
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen Spain.Posts: 6,559
    Delphiniums, hollyhocks and the trumpet vine are also great for hummingbirds - anything with long tubular flowers. There are quite a few American websites such as the spruce.com and homeguides.sfgate.com that I often refer to for drought tolerant plants and hummingbird-friendly plants often feature.
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 21,258
    Global warming has a way to go before we see humming birds in UK.
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • yes i'm stateside ... the Pacific Northwest specifically.  It rains a lot but we are mostly mild for temperature 30(winter) to 80 (summer).  the Hummingbirds we have migrate south for the winter and I generally start seeing them again mid May.

I will take your list of suggestions with me to the nursery.  thanks so much!
  • BijdezeeBijdezee BPosts: 1,484
    Honeysuckle? I know nothing about humming birds but some of the honeysuckles have long tubular flowers.