Forum home Plants

Thuja plicata 'Gelderland' hedge. Opinions please!

plant pauperplant pauper Posts: 6,234
I had decided to plant a formal hedge along part of my front boundary; about 75" (23m) and it was going to be Hornbeam. However, I have since been reading bits and pieces about conifer hedging and it seems that they're not all bad. (Leylandii)
The hedge is to provide privacy, cut down smir and lessen road noise from a not-very-busy road. Visually I prefer the Hornbeam but practically the Thuja plicata has it!
I do know about blight but Gelderland is less affected than others.

Please let me have your fors and againsts before I fork out physically and financially.  

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 19,502
    Personally, I'd go for hornbeam or beech depending on the soil and aspect and a double, staggered row if necessary because they change with the seasons.   Photinia Red Robin is good too and can be shaped and kept to size and every time it's clipped the new foliage is red and you can let it flower for added interest.

I find conifer anything very dull because they do just look the same all year unless you get one of the varieties that changes colour for winter - more gold or bronze or purple - and they tend to be expensive.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • MarlorenaMarlorena East AngliaPosts: 2,806
    I would say go for it, because I just love Thuja's and I have 3 in my small garden, and would have many more varieties if I could...  as they can be trimmed and shaped, cut into old wood, no problem...  and they provide a focal point, or an end point to a border, especially with roses I find...
    'Gelderland' is a bit quick for me, I prefer the slower types, but for your purposes, if you can handle that rate of growth, then a fine hedge in the making..