A tiny little pond (or not)

Hi, first-time poster here! I recently moved into a new property and have been enjoying getting to grips with the garden.

Outside our back door is this small yard area, and to the left, the steps up to the steep garden itself. While clearing bits & bobs from this yard area recently, I found a happy little toad on the concrete floor. Direct sunlight doesn't seem to reach this part of the garden, and it always looks a bit damp, I guess hence why Mr toad seemed quite happy. I'm thinking about digging a small washbowl-type pond into the gravel area, but was wondering if you (far more experienced!) gardeners think this is worth doing, considering it's a few feet up from the ground? Will wildlife find a way, if I give them the habitat, or does this look like an inaccessible environment for a pond to you?

• Daisy33Daisy33 LondonPosts: 1,027
    It's a pretty little area, isn't it? I would say give it a try and if it doesn't work then you won't have lost much. Maybe make it into a bog garden instead.
  • plant pauperplant pauper Posts: 6,238
    As they say...build it and they will come. 
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 53,131
    edited April 2018
    Oooh I've got lots of ideas for that little space ... turn the whole gravel area into a shallow pool, with water dripping down from a tap or gargoyle or whatever on the wall at the back ... surround it by ferns .... it'll soon be full of birds having a bath  :)

Sorry, it's your garden :blush:
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 3,773
    I think that's a nice idea - as plant pauper says, they will find it ! I would make it as big as you can. Please post some photos when you've done it  :)
  • dave125dave125 Posts: 99
    Blimey an old coal ole and a posh one at that. We had a communal shed for our coal when I was a kid reached by an actual ginnel.
    It looks like it's all filled in so get some butyl liner and use the whole thing as a shallow pond. You might not get the amphibians but you could have some excellent plants and the insect life will love it. Depending where you are you may also get Common Lizard in the dry stone.
    Dave
  • Vix and ScottVix and Scott SurreyPosts: 16
    Thanks all, you've given me the push I need to have a crack at it! I think turning the whole thing into a pond might be a bit beyond my skill level, but I'll start with something small and keep an eye on the visitors.

There's a good article in this month's GW magazine about making a small pond, but do you guys have any plant recommendations for this damp, relatively shady area?
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 53,131
    Ferns and miniature hostas  :)
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 3,773
    Astilbe ? Various pink,red or white shades.
  • Daisy33Daisy33 LondonPosts: 1,027
    Dicentra, astilbe, primulas, erythroniums, pulmonaria.
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 2,846
    Mossy saxifrage. An eye level pond sounds great to me. Plenty of aerial wildlife will appreciate it.