Forum home Plants

Where can I get a planter big enough for black bamboo..

Hi,

I need to sink the planters into the ground in front of the eyesore of a trampoline we have.  In Monty Don's video on planting bamboo he used a galvanised metal box but I can't find anything deep enough to use. 

Anyone out there know where I can look?

Many thanks

Nick

• BenCottoBenCotto RutlandPosts: 979
    Does it have to be galvanised metal or would a plastic container work? And what size do you want? 

I am thinking that a plastic water barrel sliced from top to bottom and then laid on its side with drainage holes punched in might work. You could pick up such a tank second hand on eBay for very little money or brand new they’re pretty cheap in discounted stores like B&M. If it has to be a galvanised tank, again I would use eBay. You could get one for under £1 but you’d have to arrange transport. Better condition tanks that could be a garden feature can sell for £50 - £200 depending on size.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Thanks for responding...

I'm after something strong enough to stop rampaging bamboo - I guess if the plastic is thick enough it would be ok.  Needs to be deep enough to grow as I want it to be confined with no drainage holes, as the bamboo would work its way through it.

I need the container to be about a meter or so long really...
  • Blue OnionBlue Onion Posts: 1,783
    Look for stock tanks.. many are pretty enough to leave above ground.

Image result for stock tank
    (Man added for scale)  
    Utah, USA.
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 5,896
    edited April 2018
    :D  is it you demonstrating?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited April 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Blue OnionBlue Onion Posts: 1,783
    You'll need two or three, if you actually want to hide the entire trampoline from line-of-sight.  They are also not very deep.. 40 cm.. is that enough?  Also, it has a good sized internal lip.. you'll never get the bamboo out of there once it's filled the space.  

What about building your own wood planter?  
    Utah, USA.
  • SkandiSkandi Northern DenmarkPosts: 668
    https://www.hyperdrug.co.uk/Red-Gorilla-Tubtrug-Heavy-Duty-Rigid-Multi-Tub-Black/productinfo/TUBTRUGR/
    That type of thing is what I would use, I think that site has them in "trough" shapes as well. (I have never bought from them as I am in Denmark) I use that type for all sorts, to hold rainwater, filled with sand for storing carrots, duck baths... they stay outside all year and are strong enough to survive when their contents freezes solid.