Forum home Plants

Ongoing rose blackspot problem - what to do?

NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen SpainPosts: 2,880
Sorry to revisit this problem again - yes it’s Darcey Bussell. She continues to have bad blackspot, I am picking off a good handful of yellowing, infected leaves practically every day. I was wondering if this continuous part defoliation is doing the right thing, health-wise. Should I give up and leave her too it, apart from clearing up underneath, then make a concerted effort to eradicate the problem in the winter or should I continue picking off? 

My nearby Munstead Wood and Lady of Shallott have a little as well but Darcy is the main problem, and I suspect source, of the spread. Some sample leaves:

• debs64debs64 West Midlands, on the edge of the Black Country Posts: 2,204
    I had a similar problem so pruned back very hard moved Rose into big pot with lots of manure and left it alone for a few months. Seemed to do the trick will see what the summer bring! Maybe worth a try. 
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 5,035
    If you grow roses, they'll almost certainly get black spot.
    You can minimize by removing all diseased foliage on the ground at the end of the season which should delay the onset of black spot the following year.
    The only other option is a black spot spray, but it has to be used throughout the season
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen SpainPosts: 2,880
    Hi Debs, yes Obelixx suggested the same thing when I posted about her horizontal sprawling habit - I will see how she is by the end of the year and might be forced to do that. Pete, I have followed a strict hygiene regime, fed, mulched etc., to no avail. She is in a very sunny position and is very open in structure so is well ‘aired’. Not keen on using chemicals, but again, in desperate times...

I suppose what I was really wanting to know is if continuing to strip off so much of the foliage will weaken the plant more than not doing it!

Thanks for your advice.
  • Mark56Mark56 Windsor, BerkshirePosts: 1,653
    Threw my Darcey Bussell out late last year, it was a gift but continually got black spot and looked terrible. I followed everything by the book too. They recommend a milk and water solution as it acts as a natural fungicide, worth a shot. 
    Ha! Mine was a gift, continually gets blackspot and looks terrible too, so glad to know it’s not just me Mark! I am trying by best to get her looking better for August because the people who gave it to me are coming to visit.
  • PosyPosy Isle of Wight.Posts: 1,768
    Try a product called Sulpha Rose - or something like that.
    Thanks, will try the milk solution first as I have some nice organic milk from the cows down the road in the fridge - just read up on it and seems to work best in sun so that would suit. I ordered a neem oil solution, intending to start a spraying regime but after the first application the sun was too strong and it burnt the uppermost leaves.
    I mean the milk is in the fridge, not the cows :D
  • Daisy33Daisy33 LondonPosts: 1,026
    Nollie said:
    I mean the milk is in the fridge, not the cows :D
    That's OK, we herd you the first time Nollie. ;):D
    We could milk this for all it’s worth. Nothing wrong with chewing the cud  ;)