TRIED EVERYTHING- NOTHING WORKED !!!

We moved into a house , that has 3 different types of ivy in the garden, in various places. My main concern was the varigated type covering a garden arch.The arch has been removed, & we have tried all the various suggestions, including digging out countless bags of roots.. I have tried the wet solutions too. Nothing working! I felt guilty cutting the arch down, as the ivy was there first, but it was blocking the view. Will creosote painted on the other stump prevent it from regrowing, or will that damage the surrounding soil. I have even had a landscape gardener walk away from the problem. As his suggestion did not work. HELP !!! PLEASE !

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 56,688
    edited April 2018
    Creosote is no longer available to the home gardener and it's pretty noxious stuff and I wouldn't want to use it in my garden.
    If you're happy to use chemicals use the right one for the job ... SBK stump and brushwood killer wll deal with the problem if used according to the instructions. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Thank you. I can access creosote, but don't want to use it, because of having pets.  Is SBK available from garden centres?  I shall do some methophorical digging, and see where I can get some locally. Thank you. 

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 4,762
    I had an area 30ft x 30ft that was a mass of brambles, ivy, docks and nettles.
    Roundup done a reasonable job on the nettles, but didn't have much effect on the rest.
    I got some Rosate36 (which is, like Roudup glyphosphate, but much stronger) I sprayed the whole area 3 times (starting in April) over 10 weeks and it killed everything green down there - even 2ft thick ivy on the fences.
    I got it from Amazon, but available elsewhere.
    It's tricky finding the correct dilution rate in the booklet that comes with it. But it's 30ml Rosate to 1L water - if you choose to use it.
    Best of luck
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • Thank you Pete, I don't want to kill everything green !!!  I 'm already beating myself up as a plant killer. By  isolating the ivy & singling it out. I am redesigning the garden, & have my own plans and plants for it. But the pergola covered in the varigated ivy, just had to go. I can't risk polluting the surrounding soil, as I need it for other plants. Somebody else suggested setting firre to the stump. But I think that is a bit risky.  I shall think toil & trial everything. THANK you.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 22,366
    it will only kill what it touches and leaves no residue in soil. Pets need to be absent only when it's still wet, so not long.
    As has been said " use as directed "
    Devon.
    Thank you. I can access creosote, but don't want to use it, because of having pets.  Is SBK available from garden centres?  I shall do some methophorical digging, and see where I can get some locally. Thank you. 

Yes, it's widely available ... even from Amazon and Homebase
     https://www.homebase.co.uk/sbk-tough-concentrate-weed-killer-250ml_p412816 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Yes, I have had a look, sounds ok, but arson sounded a more fun option. Lol . I shall get some SBK from our local garden centre. & See how it  works. 
    This was just a fraction of our ivy when we came here in 2011
    Cutting it down, digging out what we could and SBK on the stumps and any shoots that reappeared sorted it out ... there's none left except in the area where we want it to be. :D

• Excellent job.  That looked like    a  jungle of a job .  Iam not  attackin the ivy on the fences as yet. It's just the pergola directly behind the house, not only  was it blocking gorgeous rural views, we actually could not access the back door. Even though it was about 5 metres away. 
    We didn't attack it ... it attacked us!  We'd been moved in here a week when torrential rain made the neglected ivy so heavy it brought the fence down into the garden and blocked the back pathway.   :open_mouth:  As it was the neighbours'  fence they were very understanding and replaced it themselves.  We then got rid of the ivy on the other side and the back and refenced, gaining almost 6' in width of the garden.  The neighbour on the other side was very relieved as he was elderly and infirm and had been battling against it in his garden too.  

The last two photos were taken from the same place just three years apart, so it can be done  :)

Good luck.