Forum home Plants

Are these weeds?

zenpmdzenpmd Posts: 28
Would really appreciate some guidance as to what these plants are

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,794
    edited April 2018
    The photos not very clear, but the plant with the white flower buds looks like Arabis. 

The  plant behind it could be an Echinops, but I can't see it clearly enough to be certain. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 2,660
    I think the white flowered one is Iberis, the perennial candytuft.
    Could the frilly leaved ones possibly be carrots in their second year?
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,091
    re the carrots, I wonder if, being in the flower border, they are some other umbellifer
  • Wow, I try every time to guess the ID questions but so, so rarely get it right. But when I looked at the picture for the first time I thought that looks like a carrot gone to seed. So chuffed I'm at least in the same overgrown ballpark as the experts for once. Doesn't matter if it's right or not I just feel a tiny bit less stupid than normal.
    “Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.” Winston Churchill
    edited April 2018
    Don't think it's carrot ... sorry Paul ...  ;)

Looks a bit like this  https://www.crocus.co.uk/plants/_/selinum-wallichianum/classid.2000007833/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIguSLmtDh2gIVRLHtCh0ZWAetEAAYASAAEgKFL_D_BwE

The photo of the whole plant looks very much like the OP's photo.  
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• DimWitDimWit Posts: 553
    If it is selinum, the upper part of the floral stems should be purplish (according to the pictures, I've never seen this...).

Or possibly a selinum cousin

https://www.sarahraven.com/flowers/seeds/annuals/ammi_visnaga.htm

Some of these appeared in my garden the other year ... no idea where from ... possibly from a bird feeder.