Help in identifying fungus? that is growing rapidly along gravel drive.

I have this what I think is a type of fungus but not sure. I have tried round-up and 2-4-D and neither has touched it. The only "grave" fungus I've seen is boston and this really isn't slimy. It is growing by leaps and bounds down the length of my gravel drive. Can anyone please help with identification and a solution to get rid of it? Much appreciated!

• I have this what I think is a type of fungus but not sure. I have tried round-up and       2-4-D and neither has touched it. The only "gravel" fungus I've seen is nostoc and this really isn't slimy. It's growing by leaps and bounds down the length of my gravel drive. Can anyone please help with identification and a solution to get rid of it? Much appreciated!

• wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 3,688
    It's a type of liverwort I think. Physical removal and improvement of the ground conditions will probably help control it naturally but if you want to use chemicals then some kind of moss killer would probably do the job.
  • Thanks!
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 15,300
    It’s a symptom of an underlying problem of wet ground.

If you can dry out the substrate on which it is growing it will die without the need for poison.

If you allow the substrate to remain wet, even after applying toxic chemicals, the liverwort and/or moss will grow there again as the conditions favour it. You will then be obliged to apply yet more poison.....
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Not sure how to dry out the substrate. Last summer the ground was bone dry and it persisted. I read that dustings of baking soda will kill it but the application was pots in a nursery. Mine might be too advanced for this to work.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 56,551
    edited April 2018
    Rake away the pebbles, removing the Liverwort as you do so, then dig out some of the base and replace with some coarse grit/gravel ....  then replace the pebbles on top and in future rake the area regularly, moving the pebbles around ... liverwort loves shady damp and undisturbed spots.  Doing that may not totally get rid of it, but it will make it feel less at home and deter it spreading.

I have a soft spot for Liverwort ... it was the subject of my first ever Biology lesson at grammar school.  :)  It's fascinating. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• I agree. It's really cool and very unique. The area I'm now contending with is about 2' x 75'. It will give me a good workout! Thanks.
  • hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 3,946
    Regular raking is definitely the way to go. Certainly every couple of months. 
    'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • Thanks for all the advice!