Forum home Problem solving

Peris forest flame

I've a Peris with healthy new growth in places with other areas showing old barren stems with leaves at the tips. Can these barren stems be sut back to encourage new growth? When would be the best time?

Barren stems in areas.

The rest of the plant looks good

• StevedaylillyStevedaylilly Posts: 1,087
    Hi 
    I would cut that dead wood back to new growth. Normally, you prune them after flowering but any deceased or damaged should be pruned out to keep the shrub healthy 
  • It's not dead wood but more like leggy branches with growth limited to the tips . I can cut it back to the main stem but that will likely leave a gap. I may try and leave a 2" stump to see if it will produce new growth: at the moment there are no signs of any buds along those barren branches in photo 1.
  • StevedaylillyStevedaylilly Posts: 1,087
    Then prune it back to make the shrub more visually appealing
  • BorderlineBorderline Posts: 4,429
    Have you checked your branches and leaves thoroughly in that area? I can see sooty mould that’s leading to fungal growth. You may have scale insects or other things like aphids that have attacked your shrub and possibly weakening it.

Try to wash your leaves using a damp sponge.  If you have any over-hanging taller shrubs, keep an eye out to see if there are issues there. It’s possibly affecting your shrub. That branch needs removing, it’s unlikely to rejuvenate.