New border

Just finished digging over an old border. Approx 25 foot long and 4 foof wide. Acid soil, well draining. Get the sun early morning till 1-2pm.
There is a honeysuckle still in place and a small sorbus tree. Otherwise it's a blank canvas. Any suggestions?

• 1634 Racine1634 Racine Posts: 384
    Nice.  Looks like a lot of fun.  For starters I would be looking at a classic climbing rose as a feature against that wall.  Obviously not full sun but there would be plenty of decent options.
  • Like the idea of an old fashioned climbing rose, especially if I can get it to run along the top of the wall to add some privacy. The top of the wall did have ivy running riot.
  • Hydrangeas. They are suitable for acid soil and morning sun/afternoon shade is just what they like. 
  • Thanks. Have ear marked a hydrangea for just around the corner of the lower part of the border. Would prefer a couple of unusual small growing shrubs for the border which I will interplant with some unusual perennials Im growing and the stately nicotiana sylvestris & langsdorfii.
  • hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 3,947
    A daphne perhaps? Can't think of any unusual small shrubs!!
    'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • 1634 Racine1634 Racine Posts: 384
    There are all manner of azalea that would thrive in the acidic soil.  Mine are putting on quite show at the moment.  These are evergreen too so provide some nice structure.

• That's a nice looking weathered wall Igrowfromseed! I wish I had your dilemma! I think you'll really enjoy sorting out that border!
    The whole truth is an instrument that can only be played by an expert.
  • BorderlineBorderline Posts: 3,237
    For low growing, Gautheria Procumbens will sprawl for ground cover. Erica Carnea should do well in that setting too. Evergreen and plenty of interest and form and never too tall. For winter scent, Sarcoccoca Hookeriana Humilis, compact evergreen shrub does better in the shade.
  • IgrowfromseedIgrowfromseed Posts: 140
    For low growing, Gautheria Procumbens will sprawl for ground cover. Erica Carnea should do well in that setting too. Evergreen and plenty of interest and form and never too tall. For winter scent, Sarcoccoca Hookeriana Humilis, compact evergreen shrub does better in the shade.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I do like the sarcococca hookeriana, the var digyna 'Purple stem' looks unusual. Also Gaultheria ovatifoila ground cover, perhaps the 'Mountain Checker'

• Green MagpieGreen Magpie Posts: 802
    I have a new border with some similar characteristics, that I planted up last November, with (mostly) evergreen shrubs. Ones that are doing well include azaleas, pieris, a creeping euonymus called Emerald Gaiety, some heathers and a couple of small-leaves hebes. I have also put in two clematis - one against the wall, the other to scramble over an old tree stump that is too big to remove. 
    I got most of these from Morrison's, very cheaply - I think I only spent about £30. Then just last week I was there again and came home with a baby silver birch that cost £2!