Forum home Plants

Acer help

2»

• PuckersPuckers Posts: 9
    edited May 2018
    my next question is ones very floppy, I have a pic of it how it is and how I lean it up against stuff, is this Right? Should it be staked or is it just that type and I should stop worrying about it? Lol

• Blue OnionBlue Onion Posts: 2,899
    That's a lot of foliage for such thin branches.  I would stake it up with a cane or two, and then prune it back to two stem this winter.. eventually removing one of them in a few years time, depending on which has the better shape.  I would probably take off the growth tip of each to encourage it to bush out a bit too.  
    Utah, USA.
    That's a lot of foliage for such thin branches.  I would stake it up with a cane or two, and then prune it back to two stem this winter.. eventually removing one of them in a few years time, depending on which has the better shape.  I would probably take off the growth tip of each to encourage it to bush out a bit too.  
    Thank you, I will get some canes and follow your advice :)
  • UpNorthUpNorth South Leeds, West Yorkshire, UK Posts: 376
    The price of buying so cheap is that you have perhaps two year old trees and typically a 30 quid Acer will be maybe 4 or 5 years old I would guess.

Also I understand Japanese Acer's need potting potting on into only ever so slightly larger pots.   

We've also struggled with drainage for Acer's in pots.  Use the right compost, lots drainage ie gravel in bottom, possibly Hessian atop gravel, ensure holes big enough and off ground....maybe it will be okay, in dappled shade well watered.

We love them, have loads, but gosh they're are work.....which does make me think it's worth paying nurseymen to grow the on 😀