Forum home Tools and techniques

Garden vac

Hello all, I am really struggling to find enough time to keep my deck and paving clear of leaves and debris. I have decided to buy a garden vacuum to speed things up. But it needs to be extremely small as I have very little space for storage. I was looking at some hand-held devices (rather than a canister on wheels). Do people have any recommendations from their own experience?

Thanks! 

• KT53KT53 Posts: 4,592
    I haven't seen anything compact.  All I would say is to check that it shreds as well as sucking.  I bought a cheapy one, not realising that it didn't shred and it doesn't cope with crab apples!
  • IamweedyIamweedy Cheshire East. Posts: 1,364
    I bought one a few years ago. A Flymo 1500 and it is too big for me to handle comfortably. I am just 5'1". But you do need the vacuum nozzle to reach the ground to pick up the leaves off the ground. Mowing them up with a lawn mower might just :D:D be easier.
    (In my open plan front garden the wind takes the leaves right off my lawn and into the corner of the garden next door.)  :D 

'You must have some bread with it me duck!'

• IamweedyIamweedy Cheshire East. Posts: 1,364
    Oops! too many emoticons there.  

'You must have some bread with it me duck!'

• AlchemistAlchemist OxfordPosts: 221
    Look at dewalt vac at screwfix. It’s small/light enough yet functional. Haven’t got one but seen one at my friends place and works well. Dewalt also has a YouTube videos. 
  • Thank you everyone!
  • JeanRJeanR Posts: 16
    Black+Decker is another good option also.
  • Rob LockwoodRob Lockwood Posts: 207
    Hi Rose - the usual comment is that very few of them work, especially at the cheaper end, so buying a blower instead might be better.  The cheapest way might be to run the mower over the decking / paving as Weedy says - no further storage room needed! (if you have a mower of course)
  • KT53KT53 Posts: 4,592
    Rob Lockwood said: The cheapest way might be to run the mower over the decking / paving as Weedy says - no further storage room needed! (if you have a mower of course)
    Although you might get some funny looks from the neighbours who think you have totally lost the plot when they see you 'mowing' the deck and paving.