Forum home Problem solving

Ugly fence

Hello, 
I have a long...160ft, narrow(ish) garden with a five foot fence on each side. What would be a quick way...using plants to help disguse it? 

I think tall, evergreen something..just don't know what.

Any idea or advice welcome.

• ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 3,168
    One way would be to break it up so you don't see all of it at once. Then you could deal with each section one at a time, instead of seeing the full length of fence.

Create sub-divisions by creating beds that extend into the middle of the garden on alternate sides - they can be squares or rectangles, triangular or curved, according to taste. 

Plant up with some attractive shrubs, including some evergreens, a small tree or two to add height, then fill in with perennials, annuals  and bulbs. 

Add some climbers to your fence. With the full view obscured you could mix both evergreen and deciduous for variety and summer colour. You will need to add support such as trellis or wires attached to the fence posts, the latter only if it is your fence or with permission. For something fast for this year you could get some sweetpeas from a garden centre, something to look at while you research climbers.
  • Pauline 7Pauline 7 West Yorkshire Posts: 1,877
    If you could post a pic it would help get a better idea of the area. Use the 'mountain range 'icon above the text box,  5th from the right.  
    It would also be helpful to know the soil type,  what way it faces and how much sun it does,  or doesn't get.  All these things will affect what will do well there and what won't. 
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen SpainPosts: 3,893
    Buttercup is spot on, make a virtue of your garden shape by creating a series of spaces with plants, trellis, seating, pots etc. If you plant evergreens down each side it will reduce the width of the garden and accentuate the long narrow shape even further.
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 3,875
    Yes, pic please, and great idea break it into rooms, for climbers, soil type and aspect facing?
  • Hi
    Cordon fruit trees planted at 45 degrees help to soft the outline of my fence

• Thank you for your replied. I have attached a picture. The garden is south facing.