Pinching out tom suckers

ChriscoreChriscore Posts: 107
Hi guys, i was wondering when i should start pinching out the sucker shoots on my tomato plants (crimson crush). At the moment they aren't that big, maybe 8 inches tall or so. Should i be doing this now? Thanks in advance.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 48,927
    Can you post a photo of your tomato plants please @Chriscore ;

You should remove the little sideshoots in the axils of the leaves when they're about an inch long, but I've grown Crimson Crush a few times and I'm surprised that 8" plants are producing these sideshoots already.  
    "...tea and toasted buttered currant buns, can't compensate for lack of sun because the summer's all gone..."   Autumn Almanac - Ray Davies
  • ChriscoreChriscore Posts: 107
    I may have made a rather bad guess at the height there. Just checked and they are 12 inches. 
  • Purple OrangePurple Orange Posts: 19
    Looks like your tomatoes are taking over too. I have no window sill space left.
  • Hazel 1Hazel 1 Posts: 1,010
    I think they need to be nipped out when you have so many - six?- pairs of true leaves but we've started nipping out ours now, about inch long as Dove says, and we don't have six pairs of leaves yet. Maybe four/ five pairs. This is what we always do and doesn't seem to harm the plant at all. 
    Thanks for the replies! yeah i think i'm gonna pinch them out. 
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 48,927
    Yes, I pinch them out as soon as they're bit enough to do it without damaging the plant ... good fingernails are helpful but a gardener's fingernails are rarely good  :(   I do it in the morning when the plant growth is firm.  
    "...tea and toasted buttered currant buns, can't compensate for lack of sun because the summer's all gone..."   Autumn Almanac - Ray Davies
    Yes, I pinch them out as soon as they're bit enough to do it without damaging the plant ... good fingernails are helpful but a gardener's fingernails are rarely good  :(   I do it in the morning when the plant growth is firm.  
    Thank you dove, I will try that!