Arrange my pots!

Second post for the evening! This is my front drive. I need to display some pots or ‘ornament’ on the stones. I’ve put a standard rose and a tall container together but it needs a third item. What would people suggest? I’m really not great at garden lay outs and displays 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 54,459
    edited April 2018
    I think Phormium 'Cream Delight' would look good, adding movement, lightness and texture at mid height to connect the other two plants. 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Liz WarnerLiz Warner Posts: 198
    That’s a really good idea. What about the container arrangement? That’s what I struggle with 
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 16,761
    Statement pots on their own or else groups of 3, 5, 7 and so on.  Not even numbers.

Pairs are for vases, candlesticks, bookends but not plants unless you have matching ones either side of a gate or door.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Liz WarnerLiz Warner Posts: 198
    A third pot , similar height to the tall one, behind the rose but on the left hand side? 
  • BorderlineBorderline Posts: 3,088
    Think about scale. If you have a large blank space in that gravel area, you ought to think about a much larger pot/container. I think a much larger container to place against your current cluster of pots on the right side will give that area more balance.

For a west facing sheltered border, you can train or grow free standing shrubs like evergreen Coronilla Valentina Glauca 'Citrina'. If you push your a large pot against your wall, it could be wall trained. Lovely lemon flowers from winter into spring, and plant other plants underneath if for summer. 
  • josusa47josusa47 Posts: 2,200
    With a black door and black pots, it's a bit sombre for my liking.  I'd like to see a mini pond in a pot, maybe a bluey-green glazed pot, with a water lily in it.
  • hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 3,914
    Whats in the tall pot? Will it have any height?
    I would go for a low sprawly thing to add balance as you have a tall skinny thing (rose) and an unknown tallish thing so you now need to go wide and low. I would go for a wide shallow dish as big as you can get filled with sempervivums or something else low and sprawly. Perfect balance. 
    'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 20,947
    I'd move the standard rose into the corner more and have pots in front to cover up the bare stem.
    Devon.
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen SpainPosts: 2,173
    Your pot for your standard rose - unless it’s very wide - looks a little bit short for rose roots. Could you move it to a bigger (taller) pot and use the existing one for something else? As Obelixx says, grouping them together in odd numbers always look better unless it’s statement pair either side of a doorway, set of steps etc. Three or five bigger ones are better than loads of little ones, otherwise it starts to look a bit bitty. The beauty of pots is that you can play around and rearrange them until you are happy, although if there is soil under the gravel I would be tempted to plant the whole lot...
  • An Acer would look nice,and maybe splash out on a Japanese Pagoda,to be in keeping.It would tie in nicely with the black pots.
    The whole truth is an instrument that can only be played by an expert.