Forum home Problem solving

Has anyone replaced decking with paving?

FireFire North LondonPosts: 15,663
I'm interest in the experiences of people who have swapped decking for paving. Thanks

• FireFire North LondonPosts: 15,663
    🌱
  • Mary370Mary370 Limerick, Ireland Posts: 2,003
    I only have paving but I was surprised at how slippy it gets in the winter 
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen Spain.Posts: 5,957
    Hi Fire, possibly me being dumb, but not sure what you are looking for really - confirmation that paving is less slippy/more easy care than decking, how to go about it - ground prep when you have chucked the decking and how to lay paving? Subsequent problems with drainage???
    edited April 2018
    I'm just interested in the process people might have gone through in swapping decking for paving. The two are set up so differently. I have decking created (by predecessors) to create a flat surface on a slope. It's rotting and I am looking at various options. (I have mentioned in other threads). It would be interesting to see some before/after photos of changes people have made. Maybe it's too random a question ....
    Always room for random questions. My sister did replace decking with paving because the former was too slimy and not safe for the kids, but it wasn’t on a slope... so straightforward process. I am sure there are legion victims of ground force programmes that could answer  :D
    edited April 2018
    I don't really want to do a big building challenge / palaver / costly exercise. Replacing decking is easy but it can look so naff. The space used to be stepped at one point (20 yrs ago probably) but I appreciate and use the flat surface a lot. The decking is all falling, so I have to decide soon.
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 8,040
    Have a look at concrete beam and block to replace the decking.
    Some people bring joy wherever they go. Others, whenever they go. - Mark Twain.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,190
    Paving and decking are both slippery if they're in a shaded position. There's lots of  paving which has a riven surface which helps a bit, but it's the site which dictates the materials you use. Wet and shade are always trickier to deal with if you want a solid area for seating etc. 
    Gravel is the best choice for shade. You can add a bit of paving - a path/paths  or randomly laid -  if you need to wheel a barrow or anything, and that gives you the best of both worlds. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

Agree on the naffness factor of decking...but it’s popular because it’s cheap and easy, so any other option will probably be more pricy - perforated metal ‘decking’ can look smart and contemporary and can be suspended over a slope. Scaffolding poles and planks for industrial chic? You can also get synthetic ridged planking in trendy tones. Replace the supports and use fake turf over some lightweight support? Concrete or natural paving  will need substantial support - that’s the main issue -  to get the structure safe and sufficiently loadbearing for whatever surface you go with. 
  • Valley GardenerValley Gardener Rhondda ValleyPosts: 2,534
    I can so sympathise with you.We too inherited a ghastly area of decking,that the previous owners tried to disguise the rotted bits on.We moved a few old pots and a garden bench only to find our feet going through,it was so dangerous. It covered a big area,and we had to gradually dismantle it,taking all the wood up to the dump,it took several trips,I was never more pleased to see something gone! Underneath it all,was a perfectly good concrete terrace,with five steps leading down to the garden. Ok,it's not so big,but it's "honest" We have had Riven slabs delivered to cover the concrete,but unfortunately because of the cold and wet,haven't had a chance to lay them. If you take your decking down,you may find the main posts are set in an enormous amount of stoney concrete,our lumps were too heavy to move,so had to cut them into pieces with a brick saw,then cart them to the dump! Needless to say this was a big job for us pensioners!!! Certainly needed the Radox afterwards!😁
    The whole truth is an instrument that can only be played by an expert.