Toxic caterpillar outbreak

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 25,883
    Another media death and destruction panic. However would we manage without the press   
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 5,105
    We've had them in London for years.
  • We had a nest in our honeysuckle,our neighbour came round and poured petrol over it,they also say you should spray them with hair spray before demolishing them,so the hairs stick together and you don't breathe them in or get them on your skin.
    The whole truth is an instrument that can only be played by an expert.
    I wouldn't be pouring petrol over your garden.
  • debs64debs64 West Midlands, on the edge of the Black Country Posts: 1,671
    Poor caterpillars! Can't people just leave them alone or are they actively attacking? 
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 25,883
    I doubt if any caterpillar ever attacked anyone 
  • Fire,we didn't know it was petrol till the fumes hit us!! Not something I'd recommend!  Some old country boys remedy! A bit like when hubby accidentally drilled his finger,and was told to put diluted bleach on it........apparently it worked for his cow when she got caught on barbed wire! 😁
    The whole truth is an instrument that can only be played by an expert.
    :o
  • debs64debs64 West Midlands, on the edge of the Black Country Posts: 1,671
    I can't see pouring petrol on something is a "remedy?" Didn't it kill them! 
  • Blue OnionBlue Onion Posts: 1,783
    I got bit by several caterpillars before.. we used to have these huge plagues of Gypsy Moth caterpillars when I was a child (in Pennsylvania).. they would randomly land on you out of the trees.. and bite bare skin.  I remember camping, and their poo coming down on the tent at night sounded like a gentle rain.  

Utah, USA.