Forum home Problem solving

Pear Tree

I have a plum tree in a pot which has lots of blossom and a pear tree in a pot which only has blossom on one branch.  They are side by side therefore getting the same amount of light. Any ideas as to why this should be ?

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 21,193
    No idea at all except...
    That’s life.
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,154
    Is it a young pear and is it an older branch that has blossom?
    Pears take a while to become mature enough to produce fruit. 
    Three years ago my young espalier pear had blossom on only it's bottom tier. Last year if had blossom on two tiers. This year it has blossom on all three tiers  :)
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Paddy5Paddy5 Posts: 82
    I got this 2 years ago. It is a patio pear (that is what the label said!). It may be then that it is too young to fruit as there was nothing last year.  I just thought it odd to see blossom on only one branch when the plum bought at the same time and grown in the same conditions is laden with blossom. 
    Plums tend to blossom and fruit younger than pears.  They used to say 'you plant pears for your heirs'.   Nowadays the development of dwarfing rootstocks which speed up the maturity of the tree, pears don't take as long as they used to take to fruit, but they still take longer than plums.  :)
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• ThankthecatThankthecat North DevonPosts: 421
    Was it just one variety, or were there two or even three varieties grafted onto one root? That might explain why they would flower at different times. 
    I would have thought that different varieties on a family pear tree would be chosen to flower at the same time to ensure pollination.