Forum home Tools and techniques

When to move out of propagator?

BalaBala Posts: 89
edited April 2018 in Tools and techniques
New and still learning the art of gardening!  Just wondering at which point do you take germinated seeds out of propagator. 

This year I tried some Garden Mum Mix (Chrysanthemum indicum hortorum) seeds in a heated propagator.  They have now germinated within 4 days but yet to produce true leaves (pic).

Can I now take them out and keep it in my (unheated) conservatory that has more light (ensuring that they are protected/covered during night to avoid cold)?

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 14,807
    I get them off the heat as soon as the two seed leaves have opened up. Cover at night with a plastic dome lid, until the first true leaves are showing, then leave lids off.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • Bagpuss57Bagpuss57 South West Posts: 254
    I am by no means an expert but I start my seeds off in a heated propagator or on a sunny window sill and as soon as I see little shoots and leaves appear I put them in the cold greenhouse (only plastic type) I close it up at night and open during the day to get ventilation (I do this gradually just letting a bit of ventilation and opening it more over a week or so) then once the seedlings have pair of true leaves I prick them out and pot on and leave in the cold greenhouse or cold frame keeping an eye on the weather and make sure the doors are open during the day but shut at night. When they get a little bigger I start hardening them off by leaving the doors open at night for a week then put them in a protected place for a bit before planting out. Some seedlings are hardy like sweet peas and calendula so don't need as much fussing over but more tender stuff need a bit more warmth. I'm still learning but last year all my seedlings did really well so I'm sticking to what worked for me. I guess it depends where you live too to how soon you can plant out. Up north is colder than where I am down south. I'll be planting most of mine mid to end of May as long as we get some decent weather instead of all this horrid cold wind and rain! 
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,277
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ThankthecatThankthecat North DevonPosts: 400
    edited April 2018
    I whip them out of the propagator and put them in the unheated greenhouse as soon as seed leaves appear. Fleece if the nights are cold. Prick out when true leaves open, another couple of days in the greenhouse and then into the cold frame, lid open daytime only at first and gradually harden off til I can plant out. 
  • BalaBala Posts: 89
    Thank you so much.