Forum home The potting shed

Just when I thought....

This week thought I was well on the way, all seedlings and plugs pricked out and planted on and just managing to squeeze everything in in cold frames and window sills and plastic greenhouses and floors all over the house. Then today received e-mail to say another 40 plugs arriving next week which I had totally forgotten about (having ordered them back in January😂😂) eeek need to find more pots/space. Will we ever get to move plants outside???

• FireFire LondonPosts: 6,465
    edited April 2018
    I have 80 plugs coming and have no idea where they are going to go. Both bedrooms and tiny greenhouse are full of plants. Every windowsill. And at this rate nothing will be ready to go in before September. I'm trying to avoid nurturing slug food. I had that unpleasant shock this evening of finding slugs chomping on comos seedlings. In my bedroom. ?!**!$!**?
  • Mary370Mary370 Limerick, Ireland Posts: 1,809
    Yes the slugs do like cosmos seedlings. ....decimated mine. 
    I have lost three packets of seedlings to the darlings this year. Slugs got into the greenhouse and left nothing but bare soil.  So... miffed.
  • DampGardenManDampGardenMan Posts: 1,057
    We lost a dozen ox-eye daisies overnight. On the plus side, and FWIW, they totally ignored the Ragged Robbin and evening primroses.
  • AuntyRachAuntyRach Posts: 3,507
    Slugs in the bedroom 🤢 ! 
    I lost Cosmos and Cornflower seedlings (plus many other things!) last year to the slugs, so this year I will pot them until nearly blooming and keep some in pots and some can go in borders with a grit skirt to protect.
    My garden and I live in South Wales. 
  • PurplerainPurplerain Posts: 1,052
    I had a delivery of Penstemon Heavenly Blue. Only six, but I had completely forgotten about them, and had reproached myself for not ordering them 🙄. It's that ordering after 10pm when I am tired that is the problem 😀.

I wish the slugs would come and eat my ox-eye daises DGM. I put some in twenty years ago and they just won't leave. I do my best to keep the rampant little sods in check, but the slugs just ignore them and refuse to help.
    SW Scotland
    My slugs delight in grit and gravel. They send messages to their gangs and party all night. "Gravel!" they cry "whoop, whoop, whoop!". The slug champagne flows. 
  • DampGardenManDampGardenMan Posts: 1,057
    I wish the slugs would come and eat my ox-eye daises DGM. I put some in twenty years ago and they just won't leave.
    Ours were the same once in place (in our previous garden), but these were little plugs and I guess they were just that much tenderer and juicier! I should have known and spread them out, rather than grouping all of them in one place. Doh!
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 3,442
    OMG slugs in your bedroom! Haha, that why I have THREE greenhouses now, all my windows cills are full of seedlings, the bigger ones are now in the conservatory, tomatos now in top greenhouse, (side one is full of citrus) bottom bananas, and overwintering tenders perens
    I have not ever had a proper greenhouse. Do they not get problems with slugs and snails getting in with the doors and windows open during the day? I would have thought it would be like a feast from the gods laid on daily? My little greenhouse is open at the bottom so is pretty useless as keeping anything out at night.