Forum home Problem solving

Planting under laurel bushes

Can anybody tell me what plants would survive under Laurel. I understand the Laurel is poisonous to most plants. Thanks RAY

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,562
    edited April 2018
    I don't think laurel is poisonous to plants but it creates a thick rain and light shadow, not much can survive under that
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,179
    Even weeds don't grow under mine, nut  :D

I think you'd struggle to find anything Ray - laurels usually fill out right down to ground level, excluding everything, as nut says.

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,391
    edited April 2018
    We used to have a laurel hedge ... the only plant that flourished there was ground elder ... there is a variegated ornamental variety, if you fancy trying that ... 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• My neighbour has a laurel hedge on our border.
    I want to plant some shrubs on my side looking for recommendations as what i have planted has died
  • Bagpuss57Bagpuss57 South West Posts: 256
    Can you not trim the base to lift the crown to make it more of a tree than a bush so more hope of growing stuff underneath? I've seen it done online and thought of trying it myself? 
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,562
    My neighbour has a laurel hedge on our border.
    I want to plant some shrubs on my side looking for recommendations as what i have planted has died
    Have you read the previous posts?