Forum home Problem solving


I inherited a paved courtyard garden. I had some building works done which entailed digging up an area of the garden. I asked the builders to leave the dug up area without paviers so I may have a flowerbed. What the builders have left in the bed is what I might describe as builders sandy/gravelly type heavy substance, certainly nothing like proper soil. This I have dug out/down now leaving a bed approx 16 inches deep that I can fill with topsoil. My question is should I just fill it with just topsoil or should I mix it with compost or something? The bed I intend to plant up with box hedging as a border and evergreen plans with a few flowering shrubs. Many thanks.


  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 11,179
    Hi Kim, as no-one else has come forward yet, I'll give you my opinion  :) . I would use topsoil and then feed the plants with something like blood,fish and bone, or Growmore, something like that. My advice would be to be careful where you obtain your topsoil, use a reputable supplier or you could be bringing in all sorts of nasties.  
  • kim_edgekim_edge Posts: 4
    Thank you AnniD. I was going to order it from Wickes whose reviews are pretty good.

  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 11,179
    No worries  :)
  • BorderlineBorderline Posts: 4,688
    No need to get too concerned about the base of 16 inches, you can fill in with topsoil or even a loam based compost too like John Innes 3.
Sign In or Register to comment.