How long does it take for new turf to bed in?

insomniac_utinsomniac_ut Posts: 1
edited April 2018 in Garden design
Hello,

I've just completed a house renovation including ripping out a concrete patio and replacing it with a garden. I was briefly tempted to go with an artificial lawn, but never having done any gardening before I decided to try the real deal!

The work itself involved bringing in about 10 tonnes of soil/loam mix and then rolling out the new turf. 

The turf itself has been growing well (I've been very diligent about watering twice a day) - most of the lines separating the rolls have disappeared after 6 days. And given the not-too-cold weather, the grass has also grown quite a bit. 

However, it doesn't appeared to have bedded down properly. I've tried a few corners (not all admittedly) and gently tugging on them, I can still lift the turf up  - I would have thought that 6 days should be enough to have some roots forming.

Would appreciate any thoughts / insight?

Thanks.

• JellyfireJellyfire SuffolkPosts: 739
    The above post is spam btw.

I think it depends on the species of grass, and the weather etc, but 10 days or so generally I think
  • Dave HumbyDave Humby Posts: 876
    Pauline 7 said:
    Why has my post above been flagged as spam? 
    Someone probably has fat fingers Pauline  :) 

I'm not quite sure about the obsession with Spam on here, it always makes me chuckle. Whilst the second post may come from a company there is no advert whatsoever in their post and they actually provide some helpful info so it's hardly an issue. Anyway...

As for the OP's question, you need to strike a balance between watering and encouraging the roots to search down for water (and hence bed in) to the soil below.
  • JellyfireJellyfire SuffolkPosts: 739
    Dave Humby said:
    I'm not quite sure about the obsession with Spam on here, it always makes me chuckle. Whilst the second post may come from a company there is no advert whatsoever in their post and they actually provide some helpful info so it's hardly an issue. Anyway...
    It was their first post, lots of spammers start with seemingly innocuous comments and then try to flog their product/service once they have a dialogue. The name was a big giveaway, and I think they already have form for this 
  • KT53KT53 Posts: 3,427
    I'll avoid the spam conspiracy theory and answer the questions.  6 days isn't that long for roots to grow and get a firm hold on the earth.  Give it another week and you should see a difference.
  • Blue OnionBlue Onion Posts: 1,783
    I do wish the powers that be would leave a little marker on the post to say "Spam removed” or something along those lines.  I read OP's top post several times looking for the spam Jellyfire mentioned, before my sleep deprived brain read a bit more and figured out it had been removed with no trace.  
    Utah, USA.