Forum home Tools and techniques

Fit for purpose?

Just ordered and received a mini-mattock -

It arrived swathed in packaging wrapped around a dozen times with tape saying "fragile"! Rats, I'd hoped to use it to chop at the ground and get brambles out from under shrubs ;)

• ThankthecatThankthecat North DevonPosts: 400
    My dad bought my mum a full-size mattock for her 40th birthday. It was exactly what she wanted - we had just moved into a farm worker's cottage that hadn't been lived in for about ten years and the garden was hidden under a tangle of brambles. She had it looking lovely in no time. Enjoy your new toy!
  • DampGardenManDampGardenMan Posts: 1,054
    I could try that with OH, but I fear said mattock might then be used on me!

I spent last year just cutting brambles down with a hedge trimmer. Now I'm tackling the big crowns with my full-sized mattock. And, having got it, I'll be crawling under shrubs trying to get the embedded brambles out with my new toy without causing too much damage to the shrub roots. I hope.

I might leave a few brambles here and there for the birds to nest in and for a bit of autumn food!
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 65,343
    A fragile mattock ....... now that's useful  :/
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Blue OnionBlue Onion Posts: 2,488
    More likely they just meant that it is extremely sharp and dangerous for unwrapping while trampolining, jogging, driving, or other such activities.. only they didn't have a sticker tape that said that.  
    Utah, USA.
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 5,514

Grubbing hoe.
  • plant pauperplant pauper Posts: 6,234
    Dopey Graham in Coronation Street once recommended a crack hoe to Noris for getting the weeds out of paving.    I couldn't believe what I'd heard but the people who "got it" laughed and the people who didn't didn't!!!

Grubbing hoe.
    No, she's rather nice really :)
    More likely they just meant that it is extremely sharp and dangerous for unwrapping while trampolining, jogging, driving, or other such activities.. only they didn't have a sticker tape that said that.  
    But they've probably ordered some!

My favourite, on a building site, was a sticker on a window saying "Danger! Safety Glass" ...