Forum home The potting shed

White bluebells

we have white bluebells in our garden, are these rare.

• SussexsunSussexsun Posts: 1,444
    No they will most likely be a hybrid from Spanish bluebells.

To see a world in a grain of sand and heaven in a wild flower Hold infinity in the palm of your hand and eternity in an hour.

• B3B3 Posts: 11,553
    They come in pink too :)
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • Logan4Logan4 West MidlandsPosts: 2,253
    deloomes said:
    we have white bluebells in our garden, are these rare.
    It's best to get rid of them, they can cross breed with the wild bluebells.
  • deloomesdeloomes Posts: 2
    Thank you, did wonder if that was the case. Best get rid of the .
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 15,290
    Some places are actually selling them now. 
    I have both in my garden, they seem to live together ok. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• SussexsunSussexsun Posts: 1,444
    You only need to get rid of them if you have English bluebells either in your garden or nearby. The Spanish will cross polenate with the English if you have both and the English will be lost.

i prefer Spanish bluebells and as I don’t live in any area with any English I happy to keep my Spanish.
    To see a world in a grain of sand and heaven in a wild flower Hold infinity in the palm of your hand and eternity in an hour.

• B3B3 Posts: 11,553
    The English bluebell battle is lost in my garden and surrounding area, so I keep the white ones and  some of the hybrid blues,   but destroy the Spanish bluebells 
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  •  I had this ambition, to get rid of all the Spanish bluebells in my garden (planted by the previous owners) and replace them with English ones. I must say I gave up on that - the Spanish ones are very vigorous, and are growing and propagating so quickly, coming out on new spots all the time. It would take me years to get rid of them, so why bother. And I don't even want to try planting English bluebells, as they would just cross pollinate with Spanish ones.

Well, I comfort my self with the thought that the vigorous bluebells are good for spring insects as a food source.

• YviestevieYviestevie Kingswinford, West MidlandsPosts: 5,028
    I had a patch of spanish blue when I moved in this house.  I dug them out waited a year to see if they would return.  They didn't so I planted English ones and they have started to spread. 
    Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands
  • AsarumAsarum Posts: 323
    My Marjorie Blamey Wild Flower book says that there are native white ones around, so you need to identify them. No need to get rid of them if they are. 
    East Anglia