Forum home Plants

Erigeron karvinskianus - survived the winter?

Nana PatNana Pat Posts: 26
Can some kind soul please advise me whether or not I could expect my Erigeron Karvinskianus to be showing any signs of having survived the winter yet? I planted several of these perennials last spring and in the summer they were gorgeous and tumbled over the edges of my sunny raised beds for months. I read that I should cut them right down in early winter, which I duly did. The inch or so of old stems is still visible above ground but there is no evidence of any new growth yet and I'm not sure if they're still viable or not. Maybe it's too early? Many thanks. 

• Blue OnionBlue Onion Posts: 2,995
    Probably not.. I don't think they are cold hardy.
    Utah, USA.
  • punkdocpunkdoc Posts: 14,948
    Mine have come through the last few winters, but there is no sign of them this year.
    How can you lie there and think of England
    When you don't even know who's in the team

S.Yorkshire/Derbyshire border
  • FireFire Posts: 18,951
    I would say don't cut most things down until spring, and the new growth shows. My erigeron are fine, just starting to flower again, but only just - in the south. RHS says they are hardy to -15, which is what makes then so good for the UK climate. Leave them be for at least another month.
  • AsarumAsarum Posts: 657
    I expect they will survive but you will have plenty of seedlings appearing soon!
    East Anglia
  • MarlorenaMarlorena Posts: 8,629
    I only have 1 plant of this as I don't want all the seeding, but mine has already been in flower late Winter, then beast of the east, so it had a rest, and now it's gearing up to flower again.  I only deadhead it, don't cut it back.  It seems pretty tough and is an exposed position in my garden, in East Anglia..
    East Anglia, England
  • Nana PatNana Pat Posts: 26
    Many thanks to all for your comments. I think I will give them another month then replace them with new plants if they're still not shooting by then, so that I can ensure the same lovely display as last year. I was following the RHS's advice when I cut them right down last November but, if I do end up buying new plants, I'll follow Fire's advice to leave the cutting back until Spring. If anyone else has a comment, please feel free to add to the discussion ...
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 23,800
    Mine in Norfolk is growing. All last years growth is dead and I have removed it. I don't cut back until the spring when the old growth is brittle and brown and most of it can be pulled out.
    Dordogne and Norfolk. Clay in Dordogne, sandy in Norfolk.
  • I did the same - cut mine back in spring - and there's plenty of new growth appearing
  • FireFire Posts: 18,951
    edited April 2018
    Before, I used to cut back in winter and advice on this forum said, for most things, (like perennial salvias) don't cut back till spring. I seems like a much more effective way, as hard pruning can seem to weaken or shock the plant, at least for a while, and a hard frost can push them over the edge. My erigeron haven't died back all winter at all. They stayed green, just stopped flowering. They are beginning to think about blooming now. I'm very glad I didn't hard prune my bush salvias. I don't think they would have made it through the hard winter. Some of mine have opened one sulky, tiny leaf, as if opening one, accusing Mexican eye.
  • Ladybird4Ladybird4 Posts: 37,728
    My erigerons have seeded themselves all over the place and the seedlings are looking very healthy indeed. There could be time yet Nana Pat
    Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable