Forum home Problem solving

A whole hosta problems

Hi everyone,

I've grown hostas very successfully for the past few years and I'm happy to see them coming back through the ground again.

However last year (and, I think, the year before) I had a bug problem which led to them being quite chewed up by the end of the year and, frankly, not too pretty looking:

Any suggestions for how I can nip this in the bud before it becomes a problem? I've kept my eyes peeled for the culprits but can't find anything.

I have also read somewhere that it's a cyclical thing, and if memory serves there's some sort of bug that lives in the soil during the winter to feed on the plant and then eats the leaves when they become fully formed. Does that help? If this is the case I'm happy to do whatever is necessary to break the cycle (some sort of drench? They are in pots.)

Many thanks in advance.

• punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 13,027
    Looks like slug and snail damage, Hostas are manna from heaven for molluscs.
    Treat however you think best.
    I think you were thinking of vine weevils.
    There are ashtrays of emulsion,
    for the fag ends of the aristocracy.
  • KT53KT53 GloucestershirePosts: 7,548
    Copper tape around the pot about an inch from the top worked well for me last year.  Hardly had any damage until very late in the season.  I think by that time the leaves had reached the fence or wall and the b***ers climbed down the leaves.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,246
    edited April 2018
    I've also found that copper tape around the pot works well until the b***ers learn how to abseil  >:)
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Thanks everyone - I'll try the copper bands and hope for the best!
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,567
    Copper bands only stop newcomers.  If they're already in the pots they'll stay and feed.  You need some nematodes or else slug pellets, preferably the non-metaldehyde kind that don't make birds and hedgehogs sick or dead.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,246
    As Obelixx says  :)  and remove the dead leaveswhen they've turned from yellow to brown  ... otherwise they just make nice homes for slugs. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 24,069
    they absnail Dove ;) 
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • Just to follow up ... this year I wrapped the pots in copper tape (fiddly stuff!) and used wool snail repellent. They are looking fabulous, the talk of the town ...
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 33,314
    I'm sure the long hot dry spell this summer didn't favour the slugs /snails .
    Ha Ha 
     >:) 
    Devon.