Forum home Plants

What plant is this?

this seems to be spreading it's white roots underground and popping up everywhere. Can anyone tell me how to get rid of it without digging up all the plants in the garden and removing all the roots?

Thanks

• Blue OnionBlue Onion Posts: 2,995
    Bindweed.  Short of digging it all up, along with every speck of root.. your only other option is glyphosate.  
    Utah, USA.
  • Thank you, I did suspect. This brings me much joy  :(
  • Blue OnionBlue Onion Posts: 2,995
    Meh.. as far as weeds go, it's a bother.. but better bindweed than JKW or marestail.  Look on the bright side.   :)
    Utah, USA.
  • wild edgeswild edges Posts: 10,435
    I don't know how big the affected area is but keep pulling it up and it will get weaker and eventually die. I use old carpet or similar around places I can't dig, mulch over the top if you want it to look nice. Lift it up now and then and the roots will usually be curled up underneath and you can just pick them up and burn them. My father in law sets up a few wigwams around the place, lets the bindweed grow up it or unwinds it from other plants onto the wigwam then puts a bin bag over the top when the plants are large enough and sprays weed killer up inside. He reckons that makes sure as much root is killed as possible. I prefer manual removal though if possible. and remember without bind weed there wouldn't be plume moths so it's not all bad.
    If you can keep your head, while those around you are losing theirs, you may not have grasped the seriousness of the situation.
  • Thanks for the positivity and advice. I have spent most of today digging up as much root as possible  :# looking forward to a weekend of backache
  • FireFire Posts: 18,937
    Triffid blastedness