Forum home Problem solving

Your thoughts on choosing bark please!

2oaktrees2oaktrees West Midlands Posts: 160
edited April 2018 in Problem solving
I need a large quantity of chipped bark for my beds and borders. A leading supermarket had an appealing offer on their bark but then I saw what was falling out of the ripped bags 😳 It looked like something that was sweeped of the street and bagged up, all dry, twiggy and dusty! 

I would appreciate your thoughts and experience on the different brands of bark you have used. 

I am looking for a rich medium sized bark that would not only enhance my beds but also enrich my soil. 

Thank you all for your time & help. 

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 27,581
    If you need a lot it's worth googling about for a bulk supplier who will deliver it in a small truck with no plastic bags.  They should have different gauges and even different types and the price should compare very favourably with 70litre bags from a supermarket or garden centre. Eg,  round here it can be a choice between different conifers.   In Belgium I could choose large size chipped bark to use on beds where wind exposure was higher or softer stuff for using on paths in my woodland corner.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • 1634 Racine1634 Racine Posts: 568
    Agree that bulk purchases are a god send.  I've used these guys are few times for compost and bark, if you live in the southeast @2oaktrees

http://www.allloads.co.uk/kent/file/horticultural.php

• 2oaktrees2oaktrees West Midlands Posts: 160
    Thank you for your advice @Obelixx   and @1634 Racine I shall certainly look into buying in bulk. 

• 2oaktrees2oaktrees West Midlands Posts: 160
    I’m in the West Midlands, does anyone know of any good reputable suppliers around here please? 
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 13,999
    Or North London?