Forum home Garden design

Garden design quote seems extorionate. Advice please x

• PS. The tree in the front is already there, it's not an extra cost.
  • BenCottoBenCotto RutlandPosts: 1,607
    I promise, these are the last!

Taken this time last year. This year the crab apple has yet to blossom

The ‘upper’ terrace

The fountain at night

Cat guarding the brick shed

Modelled on my boss, I think

OP, do you live in East Leicestershire? If so, and if you like the style of what our landscape gardener did, I could give you his details. There are only two of them, one near Oakham and one near Stamford. Work is good right now and they can be choosy about which projects to take on! 

• We're in Rugby, warwickshire. Do your garden designers have a webpage? 
    No, sorry, they don’t. Nor do they advertise - all is by word of mouth and personal recommendation. I’m sorry to say that they rarely venture far outside Rutland as they do not have to; I’m sure that Rugby would be too far for them though they do occasionally venture over to Huntingdon to do John Major’s garden (Norma provides plentiful home made cakes). You’re not an ex Prime Minister by any chance, are you? That might swing it!
  • Fair enough. Thanks anyway x
  • Beaus MumBeaus Mum Posts: 3,539
    Picidae your garden is beautiful 💚💚💚
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 63,234
    edited April 2018
    If those plans are the extent of the work they have done then their fee for the plans is extortionate and their proposed charge for carrying out the work is nothing short of robbery. 

I must say that having looked at their website I'm not impressed ... it looks like the sort of brochure we (a building firm) used to get from various builders merchants touting the latest garden paving products.  

I can't see any reference to plants at all ... the 'practical and playful' family designs look almost identical to the 'garden' installed around a newly built old people's home not far from here ... uninspiring ... a sort of 'corporate' look like the bedrooms in budget hotels.  

Dont touch them with a barge pole. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 17,060
    Are these one and the same by any chance?

http://www.stwcharity.co.uk/success-story-creating-a-brighter-landscape/

“paying for the name”?
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 63,234
    All their 'awards' seem to have been awarded for using Marshalls products

https://www.marshalls.co.uk/homeowners/uk-installers-and-contractors/leicestershire-garden-design-co-r02553 

:/ 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Beau’s Mum, thank you for the compliment.

We are delighted with the garden and it gives us a lot of pleasure. Though the cost might have been £23,000, I think the house value has probably increased commensurately.