Garden design quote seems extorionate. Advice please x

• FireFire LondonPosts: 5,608
    Ilya, at the initial meeting(s) did you get an agreement, verbal or in writing that they thought the could do the job for around 15k? Did they say yes? 15k was their estimate, based on their work. If they agreed they could do the work for that budget, surely they have broken a contract.
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 15,849
    More on intellectual property-Copyright:

I would say that the drawings remain the property of the designer. I used to be a designer/maker and followed the modernisation and updating of this law with some interest at the time.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • We are not experienced gardeners; my husband mows the lawn and pulls out the weeds.
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 4,035
    If you've paid for the plans then the plans are yours to use as you like. Copyright would only be applicable if you hadn't paid or a contract was in place to say otherwise. If the firm charge for the drawings up front then they will be aware of this. In the worst case you have drawings you're happy with and can get someone else to do the work. You've done the right thing by explaining your case to the firm and if they can't meet your budget then it's their problem.
  • Thanks Wild Edges. You're right, worse case we're happy with the drawings and might be able to get the job done cheaper elsewhere x
  • Blue OnionBlue Onion Posts: 1,783
    I would request a breakdown of the quote, and see where all the money is going.  If the back patio is paved in fossil limestone for GBP 50,000.. perhaps look for a less expensive surface.  How many hours of labor do they anticipate?  Etc.
    Utah, USA.
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 15,849
    Might it be worth approaching your local Trading Standards office just to see if anyone else has had a similar experience?
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Beaus MumBeaus Mum Posts: 3,535
    Had a good look through his website as was curious who this great garden designer was. Can’t say I was convinced how awarded he was etc 
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 5,608
    edited April 2018
    I have to say that 'award-winning' is an bit of alarm phrase for me.  It doesn't much matter which field it is, people bandy the phrase around much too much. It doesn't actually mean anything. 'Award winning' novelists, chefs, poets, business leaders. Awards from the National Society of Royal Masters. :) Or in this case "Best Use of Marshalls Ethically Sourced Fairstone".  (!) Seriously?
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 4,035
    I was awarded a greatest uncle in the world mug 2 years running. You can't take that honour away from me!