Forum home Plants

Unsure of what fruit tree this is ?

I have just purchased a home which has a fruit tree growing up the outhouse, I was told it was a fruit tree by the person who sold me the home but cannot for the life of me remember what he said.... my outhouse is coming down so I want to know if anyone can advise what tree it is and if I can take cuttings and re plant ? Thanks everyone I’m very new to gardening ! Any advice appreciated ! 

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,412
    Chaenomeles, usually grown as an ornamental but the fruit are edible

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • SkandiSkandi Posts: 1,723
    edited April 2018
    I wouldn't really call it a fruit tree to be honest, it's a Japanese Quince Chaenomeles japonica. a decent ornamental. And although it is technically edible it's not very tasty.

• TopbirdTopbird Posts: 8,327
    Quinces are inedible when raw but they make delicious quince jelly - very good with pork & chicken dishes - and a few slices added to apple pie gives a lightly perfumed flavour. They can be used in quite a wide variety of dishes.
    If cooking is not your thing, a couple of the ripe fruits in a bowl will scent a room. Otherwise they look good just left on the bush!
    Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down
  • FireFire Posts: 18,927
    There's not much leaf nor twigs on it... what would that suggest? The ones I have seen are usually quite bushy, esp large ones.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 87,819
    edited April 2018
    It should leaf up later ... they're usually in flower by the time the leaves start to arrive.  :)

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

It should leaf up later ... they're  usually in flower by the time the leaves start to arrive.  :)

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

Whoops, how did that happen?   :/