Forum home Tools and techniques

Greenhouse staging, aluminium or wooden and recommendations?

Got the go ahead to order the greenhouse from the keeper of the purse and have already ordered it. Woohoo!

its an aluminium 8x6' Vitavia Freya with external dimensions 254x193cm and the door on the long side. 

Im planning on having staging pretty all the way around the perimeter. Was planning on having two tier 2' / 60cm wide staging on basically three sides other than the door side. 

Do I go for aluminium (will it get too hot?) which won't rust or rot, wood which looks nicer but might rot? Or wooden slats on an aluminium frame? 

Any recomendations for a quality supplier that doesn't cost the earth? 

I'm probably after two 6'x2' and one 2'x4'.

Thanks

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 17,781
    Aluminium because it doesn’t rot and it can be kept clean and pest free more easily.
    I’d go for Vitavia’s own. Then you know it will fit.
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 6,171
    I agree - aluminium is the best option
    I have a rhino g/h with fitted aly staging and very pleased I did. Easy to keep clean and easy to hose down and very sturdy. If you have the option of a slimmer upper shelf above the staging get that too it's very useful - you can't have too much space! Be aware that some fertilizers will stain the aluminium, leaving whiteish marks.
    I also got an aluminium staging frame with wooden inserts. The frame is sturdy enough, but they've used sponge as spacers between the wooden slats. The adhesive on the sponge melts when it gets hot and the sponges move - it's all but useless as staging, so I use it to stand my propagator on in the spring and later in the season as a potting bench in the shed. The wooden slats mark very easily.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 3,991
    Aluminium from me too. Much more practical. 
    'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • johnbaronjohnbaron Posts: 75
    Sounds like aluminium it is then! Thanks!