Forum home Problem solving

What do you wear?

Mary370Mary370 Limerick, Ireland Posts: 2,003
What do you wear on your hands / arms to remove nettles?   I get very nauceaus a couple of hours  after I get stung. .....I have been cutting them at ground level and using the clippers to place them in the bin.  

• hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 4,053
    I wear my leather gardening gloves and make sure I have long sleeves on but I dig them up rather than cutting. 
    'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • YviestevieYviestevie Kingswinford, West MidlandsPosts: 6,900
    I just wear gloves and make sure I dig them up while they are still small. 
    Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands
  • I find that rubber gloves work best - the ones which are long enough to reach about 4" past my wrist - those yellow ones - and then wear a jacket with close-fitting cuffs.
  • josusa47josusa47 Posts: 3,531
    Same as I wear for all my Gardening:. Old jeans, a denim fisherman's smock (long sleeved), and gloves if necessary.
  • JoeXJoeX Posts: 1,783
    Mary370 said:
    What do you wear on your hands / arms to remove nettles?   I get very nauceaus a couple of hours  after I get stung. .....I have been cutting them at ground level and using the clippers to place them in the bin.  
    I just heard on Kent radio a lady talking about nettles - apparently they sting through cloth so I would be looking at leather backed gloves or the rubber suggested above, and sleeves of a material that doesn’t let anything through - leather or maybe a waterproof jacket?
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 21,145
    Yellow kitchen rubber gloves.
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 24,102
    I don't have nettles. I go out to weed with my gloves on but I get frustrated with them, remove them without realising and then have to look for them before the foxes get them.
    My arms get covered in scratches and my fingernails are loaded. I don't even notice until I go inside - unless my skin starts to leak the red stuff.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • WaysideWayside Posts: 807
    I've learned to like a few stings.