Burly Bees

Has anyone noticed an increase in the number of chunky bees and wasps around already this year? We are in West Edinburgh and I can't get over how many large bees and wasps are cruising about. It might just be our garden is becoming better established and I am not complaining one bit, but could this be down to the brutal Winter?

• wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 3,261
    You're seeing this year's queens stocking up on food before nesting. The queens are much larger than the workers or males. Later in the year you'll see the workers on your flowers which will be much smaller. It's a good sign if there are a lot of queens around though especially after this hard winter.
  • DubloonDubloon Posts: 45
    Brilliant Wild Edges, thank you. That makes sense. I'm hopeful that our work to choose plants and trees that encourage wild life might be paying off. 
  • There were two big fluffy bees in Church,the vicar said they'd been asleep in the vestry all winter.........but he is a bit of a comedian!
    I have to agree with you Dubloon,there are a lot around here too.
    The whole truth is an instrument that can only be played by an expert.
  • Mark56Mark56 Windsor, BerkshirePosts: 1,653
    edited April 2018
    They are later emerging from hibernation this year because of the cold spells and all seem to have woken up around the same time. It's also because less people are out in their gardens late Feb/March when they are usually about if it's mild. 
  • DubloonDubloon Posts: 45
    That's great guys, thanks. I was waiting for the punchline to 'two bees on church'!!!
  • moragb1moragb1 Posts: 290
    I have removed about 5 from my summer house. They are really big and worried that they die in there of the heat. Had one loss already and sad. Any ideas on how to discourage them or am I just being naïve. Fed up already chasing them up ladders with a glass and cardboard.
  • Daisy33Daisy33 LondonPosts: 1,026
    They seem a bit disorientated too. Never known so many getting into the house and crashing into glass. @moragb1, last year I bought a butterfly net and sometimes (but not always) can capture them to liberate outside.
  • Mark56Mark56 Windsor, BerkshirePosts: 1,653
    Sugar and water if they seem lethargic and disorientated - they wake up from hibernation very 'hungry' and exhaust themselves trying to stay warm/looking for nest locations. 
  • moragb1moragb1 Posts: 290
    Thanks Daisy33 I will get a net. x
  • Daisy33Daisy33 LondonPosts: 1,026
    Thanks for that advice @Mark56.
    @moragb1, I managed to get one on ebay. I always think I must look like something out of a mad cartoon when I am running round with the net! :D