Forum home Problem solving

Planting a Hydrangea Petiolaris

I have just bought a Hydrangea Petiolaris (Climber) which is about 18 inches (0.5 m) high.

I read a long article about the Hydrangea Petiolaris and it said about planting -

The shrub's stems should be resting directly on the ground, directly against the support, or both. Now sprinkle soil amid and atop the stems; do this handful by handful, not by the shovel-full, so that soils fills in beneath and, eventually, atop these always-oddly-angling stems without snapping them. Soon, generous portions of the stems will have become steadied against the ground as well as supported by the mounded-up soil you've lovingly added.

Those portions of the stems that, thanks to you, now enjoy full contact with the soil will root into it and, in return, send up self-clinging side shoots all the more quickly. And because those shoots are arising from stems that have been held firmly in place by that same soil, they'll be able to attach all the more readily to the supporting structure—and, again, grow all the more quickly.

I have not seen anyone else suggest that this is the best way to plant a Hydrangea Petiolaris. Does this sound like a good idea, or should i just plant it vertically as you would normaly.

Als,o i would like it to grow up a North facing garage wall and the area chosen has 3 horizontal wooden batons about 0.75 inches thick spaced about 2 foot apart and covered with plastic climbing plant support (50mm mesh size). Would this be ok or should I remove the plastic support but leave the battons.

Sorry about the long question

• UpNorthUpNorth South Leeds, West Yorkshire, UK Posts: 376
    I planted one just over year ago.  you don't need to add any support for this plant, it will self-cling.  it will be obvious to you as it grows.  give it a gentle help for six months then it'll be away.

you don't need to do anything special re planting.  however later in the year, take one of the stems and as suggested in your text, get it under-ground/firmly on the ground and soon you'll have a new plant ( called a 'layered cutting').  
  • Kitty 2Kitty 2 ManchesterPosts: 5,150
    I've planted one on my northwest facing corner wall.
    I just dug a hole about a foot away from the wall and stuck it in.

It already had a bit of a lean to one side, which made it easy to tie the stems onto the trellis that was already there. I used soft garden twine, which will rot away over time. It should hopefully have grabbed onto the wall and be supporting itself by the time the twine is gone.

I wouldn't bother banking up soil against your wall. 
    Not necessary (in my opinion), and could cause damp issues.