Forum home The potting shed

Open Garden 2018

D0rdogne_DamselD0rdogne_Damsel Saint Yrieix La Perche, FrancePosts: 2,328
Glutten for punishment and workaholic that I am, I have agreed to open my garden to the public this year for charity. I only moved in last year, the garden is a blank (but overgrown) canvas and I have great plans for it. Unfortunately, very little time and of course a very limited budget. Here are a few pics of the story so far, hope to see a great improvement before the day- 16th September - ages away, loads of time - yeah right! To complicate matters I run a tea room from the house so the place is open to the public 7 days a week from 10 - 6pm, so not a lot of time to get stuff done, especially as I am chief cook and bottle washer and am tied to the kitchen for all of those hours. Fun, fun fun! 

Gardeners, I think, dream bigger dreams than emperors. – Mary Cantwell

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 14,531
    Hello DD. Don't forget I said you could have some bedding plants for filling in gaps - that's if they are still alive! House sitter is watering them in the greenhouse while we are in Norfolk and I gather it's been very hot. Been lovely here too.
    Dordogne and Norfolk
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 25,231
    how about some nice easy fillers like cosmos? a packet of seeds will go a long way. 
    I have no doubt you'll carry it off with aplomb. 
    Devon.
  • Beaus MumBeaus Mum Posts: 3,537
    Love the pics DD and looks like you have worked very hard already and now ready for the best bit! The planting! As Hosta says Cosmos will look gorgeous especially on mass. Is your September in France same as ours? If yes then I would get some Michaelmas daisies, hydrangeas etc ones that are on best form in September.  Maybe you could arrange garden club once a week at your tea room and if anything like me keen gardeners will spot and pick weeds as they sip their tea and eat your delicious cakes 😊 lots of love and luck xx
  • YviestevieYviestevie Kingswinford, West MidlandsPosts: 5,343
    BM that could be a good little earner for DD.  You could advertise it as a plant and seed swap group. 
    Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands
  • D0rdogne_DamselD0rdogne_Damsel Saint Yrieix La Perche, FrancePosts: 2,328
    Hello all, So good to read all your enthusiastic comments, it's like I've never been away, what a super group you are!  :) I am attaching plans so you can all see what I am aiming for, all suggestions welcome, some good ideas already & I've managed to get my roses ordered, due to arrive mid May! At the moment I am just waiting for some of the heavier work to be done with a rotivator by a 'gardener/labourer' but after that I will definitely be getting my hands dirty.  :)

Bed 1 Terrace Garden

Overall Plan

Small Bed at back of the building Plan (Bed 2)

Long Border (Bed 3) Plan

A very good friend and expert gardener has been tremendously helpful and bought very small plants and seedlings and is growing them on, she arrives in France with the car jam packed at the end of May - can't wait. 

• FireFire LondonPosts: 6,425
    edited April 2018
  • Joyce21Joyce21 Posts: 15,489
    DD, with your gardening talent it will be beautiful.
    SW Scotland
  • Lily PillyLily Pilly Central southern Scotland Posts: 3,845
    My imagination is on fire! Pleeeze keep us posted! Good luck to you.
    Weeds are flowers, too, once you get to know them.”
    A A Milne
  • D0rdogne_DamselD0rdogne_Damsel Saint Yrieix La Perche, FrancePosts: 2,328
    Hi All, latest pic of progress, long bed has been rotivated and this is the start of the new compost/leaf mould mix going in, that is 4 bags, didn't go very far, several more loads to be delivered and moved down the steps and slope to the bed, all very rewarding at the end I suppose. 

Also, now looking for a suggestion of a good vigorous climbing rose to go on the wall at the back of the buiding. In shadow in the mornings but after that mainly in full sun, although  it catches some shade from neighbouring building at times. I want a long (ish) flowering season and the house is 3/4 storeys high so it has a long way to go. Any ideas welcome. It does get cold here in winter too. 

There is another level below what you can see in this picture, I want to try & hide some of the pipes you can see. 

Anyway, any suggestions welcome. Strong,sturdy, vigourous, abundant flowering,hardy climbing rose - pretty too. ;)

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 14,531
    What colour? My Madame Alfred Carrière answers that but it is a very pale pink. Did you want light or bright?
    Dordogne and Norfolk