Looking for input from bird watchers!

Hello to all friends of the bird watching/birding community. My name is Olivia, I'm a university student and I study Computer Science. I have been passionate about all kinds of animals, especially wildlife and birds since a child, I would often go spotting for birds with my dad and this sparked a real passion that I still hold to this day. 

I am currently building an interactive web application as part of my university project for the bird watching/birding community which will offer the option to submit and other user's data on bird sightings. I will be including features like maps and graphs to help display the data aswell as the option to view and search the reported sightings. The motives behind my project are to give the community a place to collaborate, find popular areas for sightings of specific birds and finally to contribute data to the wider knowledge of bird conservation efforts.

If you would like to contribute your feedback towards the development of this project, I would highly appreciate if you could fill in this quick questionnaire: 
https://goo.gl/forms/PKHicE0cuvs6TWPW2
(Only 6 questions are non-optional, you may keep your identity anonymous)
I am developing this for the community so the input of real members of the community would mean a lot to me. If you would like to contribute your own sightings to this project, there is an option to leave your e-mail address and I will contact you with instructions but this is completely optional. 

I hope this isn't against any rules to post, please do let me know if it is as I want to be respectful. I'm not looking to make any money off of this or profit, this is just something I want to work on out of a personal passion and offer to the community as a free online resource. 
I am also aiming towards contributing my collected information to bird conservation efforts. I will be developing this solo for my university project but I plan to continue development into a fully fledged web application and am looking to work with bird conservation organisations as partners in future.

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 25,057
    Morning. I was keen to answer your survey but hit a snag. Your second question cannot be answered with either a 'Yes' or 'No' as it asks 2 questions in one i.e. 'more or less appealing'

Would you consider the aid of an interactive web application to submit bird sighting data to be more or less appealing than submitting a form? *

As it was impossible to answer this question I could not progress further. Perhaps you could tweak this and re-submit your survey.

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 55,133
    I'm not sure how making the location of possibly endangered species available to the general public is going to aid their conservation?

In the past nest sites have been deserted due to an influx of bird watchers, not to mention the theft of eggs.  

How are you going to guard against this happening when locations where birds can be found are made available on your site? 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• RedwingRedwing Posts: 875
    With respect I am surprised you, a birder, are doing this.  There are already many recording sites up and running some on a nationl level like Birdtrack and Irecord.  Plus most county ornithological societes have facilities to record birds. 
    My thoughts also Redwing.  I feel that this project has not been properly thought through and researched.   :/
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

I suspect that it is just a - well I was going to put paper exercise but you'll know what I mean. Many students post questionnaires that have not been properly thought through - I feel that some mentors are rather remiss and should monitor these things more carefully It is just so they can write into a project that they have carried out extensive research/polls online and canvassed many people. I would hope that this is the case and that a more rigorous screening process is taken to ensure the pertinence of such a survey.
    My eyebrows are raised at the possibility that this has the potential to be a personal data gathering operation ... there is the 'option' to leave your personal email details ... no real explanation why ... do we know that such information will be processed, stored and used in accordance with the law?  It could be sold ...  :/ 

I do hope that people would not be naive enough to put their personal information randomly online.