Garden devastation

JellyfireJellyfire SuffolkPosts: 741
Just had the garden practically destroyed by huge hailstones, never seen anything like it. Shredded the leaves and taken the flower buds off almost every allium and tulip in the back garden.All the peonies, delphiniums, lupins etc completley stripped of all foliage. Devastated would be an understatement. Anyone else suffer? 

• Goodness, you must be sad. I'm in Colchester so not far from Suffolk and we've had nothing. So sorry for you. I would be in tears.
  • B3B3 Posts: 11,420
     :open_mouth: how awful for you 
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,606
    Oh I'm so sorry to see that!  We've had heavy rain just now, but nothing like that!  :'(

Wish I could do something ... I know the damage a heavy hailstorm can do ... my brother's a farmer near Woodbridge so not really that far from you,  and some years ago they suffered awful damage, crops written off, cars dented and a hare and some rabbits dead in the fields.  
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• WonkyWombleWonkyWomble Posts: 2,869
    I'm in Ipswich and its been boiling hour but with a breeze all day, I can smell rain but think it's going to miss us, so sorry your garden got it, it's hitting after all the work you have put in. I just read your pond build thread and its fantastic! I'm sure you're garden will recover soon but you have every right to feel thoroughly pee'd off!!! 
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • JellyfireJellyfire SuffolkPosts: 741
    Thanks everyone. I’m sure most stuff will recover soon enough, gutted about the alliums mainly, they’re my favourite and had splashed out on loads of Mount Everest last autumn, only 4 buds survived out of about 50   :(
    Storm only lasted 5 mins and it’s glorious sunshine again now, apart from the overpowering stench of onions in the garden!
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 2,983
    I wouldnt be "sad" I would be mad, I feel for you, your aliums had buds early then.  We have just had 4 hot/very hot das, teeny bit of rain last night, said there would be rain/thunder/lightening between midnight and 3, and rain today, - nope!
  • JellyfireJellyfire SuffolkPosts: 741
    Just been for another look and had to come back in. Hopefully things won’t looks so bad when all the perennials send up some new growth. The alliums were about 18 inches or so and all had big flowers buds, had been delighted about how many of the bulbs had come through as got them pretty cheap. I suppose I didn’t have them last year so it won’t seem so bad once everything else gets going.

we were meant to have the storm this morning too but assumed we’d missed it 
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 19,412
    edited April 2018
    I came back from Chelsea Flower show one May to find a tornado had gone through with hailstones.  Every single rhubarb plant looked like it had been nuked.  There was one small leaf standing on my 20 or so pots of hostas - some of them huge leaved jobs like Sum and Substance - many perennials flattened in the garden and clematis and roses shredded or bashed with pitted scars left on woody stems of those and several shrubs and trees.

I was in a state of shock for a week and just looked at it in despair but then I got going and cut off all the broken leaves and stems and branches and fed things and talked to them and, after just a few weeks, the rhubarb all regrew, the hostas sent up lovely new foliage and the clematis and roses and other shrubs recovered tho the woody stems kept their scars.

At this time of year your plants want to grow so just do what you can to trim off the worst and then chat encouragingly to the rest and feed them.   Your garden will recover.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Blue OnionBlue Onion Posts: 1,783
    What a disappointment, especially with a new display of bulbs.  We have hail storms here in Utah in the summer.. rather too frequently.  The big cumulonimbus coming across the Rockies make some good size hail.  Most summers it just punches a few holes in the rhubarb.. but a few years ago one came in July and decimated my veg garden.. bare corn stocks in tattered shreds, tomatoes busted to pieces, cucumber leaves in pieces, etc.  Most things were a write off, but some of the tomatoes sent up new shoots and managed a few fruit, and the root veg all did okay.  It could have been worse though, the people about a mile from my house had to replace the shingles on the roof and the vinyl siding of their houses due to hail damage, and many people had their cars dented and windows smashed.  

Utah, USA.