Forum home Plants

Help With Plant Identification Please

SonnieBSonnieB ROMFORD, Essex Posts: 106
  Hello All.  I'm quite new to gardening and have Just ventured back into the garden after all the frost, snow and rain we've had.

I found these 2 plants and would like help in finding out what they are.  

Pic 2 and 3 are of the same plant.  Hope some can help.  Many thanks 

Sonia

• punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 11,324
    1. Teasel???
    2. Foxglove
    He calls her the chocolate girl
    Cause he thinks she melts when he touches her
    She knows she's the chocolate girl
    Cause she's broken up and swallowed
    And wrapped in bits of silver
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 9,647
    I'd go with choice for the 2nd one, but first one has me stumped.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,465
    I think Punkdoc has it right.  Teasel and foxglove.

Does the possible Teasel have prickles on the lower back part of the leaves?
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• SonnieBSonnieB ROMFORD, Essex Posts: 106
    That makes sense, I planted foxglove last summer.  What on earth is Teasel.  I know there are very fine pickles but it looks like the front of the leaf to me.  You guys are amazing I've been googling this for 2 days
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,465
    Teasel http://www.wildlifetrusts.org/species/teasel

Great for wildlife, insects love the flowers and birds love the seedheads.
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Thank you for the link dovefromabove I dont like the look of it.  Might relunctantly keep it for the birds and the bees 
    Thank you to you all  :)

• ThankthecatThankthecat North DevonPosts: 420
    Pretty sure 1 is teasel, although the bottoms of the rosettes are usually flatter than this looks to be. It's nice and as others have said it's good for wildlife, but for heaven's sake pull it out before it seeds or you'll have teasel everywhere for years to come! I was once told to leave the seed heads for goldfinch but they didn't touch it and it's taken me two years to get it under control.
    Ok, that's convinced me, it will be gone by tomorrow.  The birds and the bees will have to find their Teasel elsewhere.  I think I have at least 3 plants growing.  Thanks Thankthecat
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 7,736
    I must admit I thought pic one was some type of primula, deffo foxglove no 2